Unbalanced, laying to one side pullet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Buttercup14, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Buttercup14

Buttercup14 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2014
    A few days ago I noticed one of the pullets (I bought her pol about 1 month ago with another pullet and rooster) was low to the ground lots and putting her bum in air. I assumed she was getting ready to lay (I've also seen the rooster mating (or attempting to).
    2 days ago I noticed she was wobbly at times and falling down. She'd also spread her wing out and have difficulty getting up. Then I thought perhaps shed injured herself getting out of the coop (my dh didn't put the ramp there when he opened the coop).

Yesterday morning she was walking fine. But in the afternoon laying again and having difficulty getting up (it seems to be her right side). Then she'd get up walk fine. It's like it comes in bouts. I watched her drink water and eat but today again she is not really moving again.
    I'm going to try to post a pic. In it you can see how her legs/feet are. She moves them both.
    Ps this is my first time raising chickens. And these 3 are in their own coop/run then my other ones.

2. Buttercup14

Mar 26, 2014
    For some reason my pic isn't embedding

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Her symptoms sound a little like Mareks disease, but there can be other reasons she is having the problems with balance or getting up. She may have sprained a leg, have a vitamin deficiency, or could be suffering from bumblefoot. Check the foot pads for any swollen area with a black dot, and also check the legs all the way to the top for any swelling or redness, especially around joints. Check her legs to make sure they are working, that her toes are moving, and watch to see if she sits on her hocks or elbows. I would put poultry vitamins in their water right away--the one below is pretty easy to find in feed stores and TSC. Here are some links to read about Mareks disease:
    http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf
    http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/avian-atlas/search/disease/502
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

[​IMG]

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    It sounds just like Marek's Disease. I would recommend looking at the links Eggcessive posted above. I hope your bird gets well soon!

5. Buttercup14

Mar 26, 2014
    Thanks for the help
    We moved her into the garage and I gave her a drop of colloidal silver and some poly vi sol in her water. Although I will check to see if she's drinking as earlier I had to give her water with a syringe. The feed store here doesn't have really anything for poultry not even a de wormer so that's the children's vitamin. I also put some warmed oatmeal out for her and the heat lamp on.

6. Buttercup14

Mar 26, 2014
    Finally my pics are embedding. The first one was from this morning and the second one from this afternoon when she was still outside.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would definitely check inside her vent 1-2 inches with a finger (and rubber glove) to make sure that she isn't egg bound. If an egg is found, give her a warm soak in water for 30 minutes massaging her lower abdomen toward the vent. A calcium tablet or Tums orally may also help to lay. Of course, don't do this if there is not egg felt. Does she have any signs of coccidiosis or could she be suffering from dehydration? Cocci can be possible in older pullets from being on new ground, and symptoms are lethargy, puffing up, diarrhea, poor appetite, and ruffled feathers. Treatment is Corid or amprollium for 5 days. Electrolytes would probably be good for today given in her water in case of dehydratinon since she hasn't been taking much.

HOMEMADE ELECTROLYTE SOLUTION courtesy of TheChickenChick.com
    1/2 teaspoon salt substitute*
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon table salt
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 gallon water
    *Salt substitute is readily available in most stores in the spice aisle near the salt, but if you do not have it, don't worry, the solution will still have most of the benefits intended to combat heat stress.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  8. Buttercup14

Mar 26, 2014
    I couldn't feel really far in as her vent kept 'pulsating' like and was pushing me out. But her two bones on either side are far apart and the tips very sharp (almost like they were going to break through the skin). Under it though I could feel a large lump (I'm assuming egg??).
    We let her soak in warm water for 30 min and she loved it (seemed like it) and was drinking water. She took about 1/4 of the tum with yogurt.
    Afterwards she was laying normal semi under the heat lamp.

I pray it's an egg and it comes out quickly.

How long do I wait until I give her another soak?

9. Buttercup14

Mar 26, 2014
    Ps. I can't thank you guys enough for the help :)

10. Buttercup14

Mar 26, 2014
    Well no egg and she's still laying the same way/spot from when I put her to bed. She took a bit of water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by