Unbalanced silkie with cloudy eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Silkie Life, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Silkie Life

Silkie Life Just Hatched

Jul 25, 2016
    Ohio
    Hello all! This is my first post so I'm not entirely sure I am doing everything correctly but here goes. I wanted to see if anyone was able to help me figure out what is wrong with my 3yr old, black silkie hen. When I got her two months ago she was infested with lice and very lethargic/inactive. I did worm her with Eprinex pour on and delouse her with seven-dust delivered as recommended by my fellow chickenites. She perked up considerably and began to lay eggs again. However, she has gotten "dumpy" again and seems unsteady. Her balance has never been wonderful (I had to help right her after I dusted her belly with Seven while she was on her back). However, she has slowed down a lot over the past week. She walks slowly, occasionally righting herself with her wings. She does not seem to lack motor control, and I don't know that anyone who doesn't know her would think anything was wrong. She was never one to scamper around but she is definitely moving more slowly than usual. She walks over and watches the other hens dust bathe but she does not attempt to do more than sit down in the dirt. She also has one cloudy eye with no drainage or discharge. I though she may be blind in this eye but I'm not sure. I have not noticed this until today. Her other eye is perfectly clear. She is eating and drinking but spends most of the day sitting on the soft grass under her coop. I do notice green poo that is formed. However, it has been very dry here to the point of drought and we have just started having good rains that have resulted in fresh, tender green grass. She also appears to be molting. No nasal discharge or other respiratory symptoms that I can detect. I thought it was Marek's initially and flipped out. However, none of her other flock mates seem off and they all came from the same farm. Also, her motor control seems okay-it just looks like she cannot keep her balance well, her legs themselves don't appear weak. Any ideas? [​IMG]

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome to BYC.

Sometimes it's hard to determine what is going on.
    At her age, Marek's would not be likely, but if she is fairly new to you, then stress of going to a new home could have brought on symptoms. The balance issues could also be dehydration and/or nutritional imbalance or something like Coccidiosis. You can provide some vitamins in her water and add extra protein like egg, tuna, mackerel or meat. Give her wet feed and limit any treats to no more than 10% of her daily intake.

You may want to take a fecal sample to your vet to have them check for cocci and worms.

Let us know how she's doing.

3. Silkie Life

Silkie Life Just Hatched

Jul 25, 2016
    Ohio
    Thank you very much for you reply, Wyorp Rock. I was ready to give up my whole flock and curl up in a ball in the basement. Your reply really gave me hope, so I went ahead and took her to an avian vet one hour away from home. It was so worth it! She does NOT have Marek's disease, she has a reproductive infection. The vet is very hopeful that she will recover and won't need surgery (for which I understand the prognosis is poor). She gave me antibiotics for her to take orally (pill) and some liquid pain reliever which did my heart good. She also got some fluids. She is up walking around and drinking. As a side note, the vet was unsure of the cause of her dry skin but feels it may be related to the infection and the stress that it has caused her. I'll post again later to let you know how she fared with her meds. Thanks again so much for your reply!!

4. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Thank you for the update!

I'm glad you were able to find vet care.

Please keep us posted on her progress.

5. Silkie Life

Silkie Life Just Hatched

Jul 25, 2016
    Ohio
    My hen is alive and well. I'm so glad I got vet care instead of giving up. I think she will be well enough tomorrow to join her flock. I've been allowing her to visit everyday while supervised to make sure she is safe.

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Glad to hear she is better[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by