Unbeleivable mold issues

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by flakey chick, Aug 20, 2008.

  1. flakey chick

    flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

    May 3, 2007
    I really need to put the girls out, but there is mold growing on the tractor. I used bathroom mold resistant paint (plus a little red coloring powder) and it is already moldy. It has been under the carport while I've been working on it and it hasn't even been out from under the roof yet. Even left over painted pieces have mold on them.

    It seems to be the type of mold that gows on leather- green and powdery. I've already used the mold resistant paint. It is not a ventilation issue as it got moldy inside and out while still very open. Other than wiping it off and using bleach, what else can I do? How long do I need to wait after bleaching it before I can let the girls in?

    (Yes it has been very humid here in FL while the affects of Fay are surrounding us).
  2. fullhouse

    fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

    Apr 14, 2008
    Could it be the wood was wet before you painted? Also, bathroom paint is an interior paint. You would want an exterior.
  3. Heather J

    Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

    May 29, 2008
    Some paints are both interior/exterior, (my favorite one is) so that may not be an issue. You might want to contact your paint store and ask if they have any products they use to prevent mold over and above the mold resistant paint. If that doesn't work, you might want to try one of those cleaning supply stores that janitors go to.

    As for bleach, I would say just a couple of hours to dry thoroughly, but with your high humidity, that may not be sufficient. I'm afraid mold isn't a big concern for us in the desert where I incubate with every water tray filled to capacity and am still in the levels people consider to be dry incubating.
  4. Chickenfiend

    Chickenfiend Out Of The Brooder

    Aug 16, 2008
    Bellville OH
    I Know we have high humidity in Ohio and we get green powdery stuff on the north side of the house or buildings.
  5. silkiechicken

    silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

    Good luck. Mildew/moss/mold is a problem here on north facing and pretty much anything in the shade too. I used deck/fence stain on most of my outdoor structures or exterior latex house paint and it still gets coated. I'm sure your humidity is much worse though. Good luck.
  6. patandchickens

    patandchickens Flock Mistress

    Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Leaving it out in the sunlight for several days or a week would help. If you don't get several days' worth of sunlight where you are (weather-wise), I guess you'll just have to bleach the bejeebers out of it and cross fingers. As long as it doesn't smell bleachy anymore it should be safe to put animals in.

    BTW are you certain it is mold, or might it be algae or even the start of lichen. Mold will smell moldy if you rub your fingers on it and sniff; algae or lichen, not so much (although it is not going to smell like a wildflower meadow or anything like that either). If it were lichen or algae I really would not worry at all, in terms of chicken health.

    Good luck,

  7. flakey chick

    flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

    May 3, 2007
    Thanks for all the help. I had heard Kilz was good so I thought it would be ok. I think the biggest problem is no sunlight. It has been in the carport. With Fay just hanging out, the humidity has been extra high for the past week.

    Not that I am a mold connoisseur or anything, but it looks like and smells like "leather mold". It is green and powdery and rubs off easily. It smells like an old musty tack room or a moldy catchers mitt. It is not the black spotted mold. I am hoping that means it will be easier to get rid of.

    BTW how does milk paint stand up to mold?
  8. Dustoff79

    Dustoff79 Chillin' With My Peeps

    Aug 5, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
  9. LynneP

    LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

    Can you borrow a sun lamp and place it under the light in a covered, well-vented place?
  10. flakey chick

    flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

    May 3, 2007
    I am going to wait until Fay blows through before I do anything more with it. I am not putting my girls out in that weather. Then I should have no trouble putting it out in the sun. Also the humidity will probably drop below 95%. I have already cleaned off the mold with bleach.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by