unbelievable bad luck- darn it!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mom 2em All, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    I ordered turken eggs from jmhappycowboy...delayed the shipping until this week, when we were supposed to have higher than freezing weather. I started up my incubator, and have stabilized the temperature inside for three days now.

The eggs shipped when our temp was 38 degrees. The temperature dropped to six degrees yesterday and the night before, windchill of 20 below. Crazy weather- it is going to be fortyfive on Saturday this week. The eggs arrived in fantastic condition. The box looked beautiful, the eggs were wonderfully packed- none cracked, and though they felt cold, I do not believe any froze.

I let the eggs come to room temperature, and finally put them in my incubator at 10:30 pm. I stayed awake, and made sure my temperatures were steady, and perfect- until MIDNIGHT. Then I went to bed.

I woke up at four a.m and my temp. read 112.0 !!!!!! The top of my incubator covered in water, as is my kitchen table- where the incubator is. I yanked the cover off- the eggs do not feel 112 degrees. I don't doubt that the incubator was that temp (new battery in my thermometer)...but it wasn't that high for long. The water came from the exhaust fan above my table- that goes out into the attic and, I think, out the roof.

The incubator is FRIED. At first, I thought it was just the light that was burned out- but nope. It is dead. I am sure I should be upset about something leaking in my attic, but I am more upset about the eggs. And that I have to buy a new incubator before other eggs I have coming, arrive today or tomorrow.
    I went out to the garage and got the other incubator-everyone should have a back-up incubator- and fired it up. I am waiting now to get stable temperatures so that I can transfer the eggs/turner.

[​IMG]

2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I'll keep my fingers crosed for you.

3. Brad7558

Brad7558 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2008
    MN
    Ouch. Leaking roofs suck. I've been waiting 3 years for the landlord to fix mine. Sometime the ceiling will cave in and maybe I can get all that rent back.

4. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Hope it works out ok for you. Please keep us updated.

5. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I think there's still a chance. From what I have heard, the younger the embryo, the more forgiving they are.

6. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Quote:oh i dont think they are cooked...I just cant believe that I tried to get everything perfect, and it started out all screwed up..lol.
    Makes em hardier birds, I bet. [​IMG]

7. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    [​IMG] and I agree with the back-up bator! Mine is in the closet... [​IMG]

8. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

This is only a test!!! ...Since you are trying to quit...everything that can go wrong probally will go wrong ...just to tempt you to smoke! So...dont give in!!
    S0000 sorry to hear about the mishap...hope the eggs survive...and hope you survive as well!!![​IMG] Good luck!! [​IMG]

9. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    THAT blows. My DDs pageant dress got rined in a similar way i had it hanging in the kitchen. Went to the store and when i came home it was wet and ruined. The workers who renovated the upstairs apartment after the hurricane too the toilet out an never shut th water off. Couple undred down the drain.

10. chantecler

chantecler Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Moncton New Brunswick
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by