Unbelievable Chicken Care

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by kschicks2013, Aug 27, 2013.

1. kschicks2013

kschicks2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2012
    Fernley, Nevada
    Okay so I went to visit a woman that raises chickens and sells them. I am looking for 6 hens. This is the first time I've ever visited anyone that raises and sells chickens. I arrived and started to realize that the way these chickens are cared for is horrific. The coops are small almost look like small wood dog houses with the run underneath. I would say that these little coops should house 3 chickens at the most. There were 5 in each and it was horrible. The bedding was straw and stinky and wet and the water and feed dishes were horrible (dirty water) and the poop was just unacceptable. There were chickens everywhere....The roosters were running around the property free.....there were wire cages with chickens in them...the poop tray was probably 2-4" deep with poop and it wasn't new poop it was old. The conditions were astonishing. Not to mention the other animals she had (Pigs, Goats, Cows, Emus, Ponies, Sheep, Llamas). Every pen I saw was dirty and smelly and to me an unacceptable way of taking care of the animals. Eggs were everywhere......on the ground, in straw, dirt, etc. I noticed an egg just sitting on a bale of hay and then noticed that between bales of hay was a hen brooding on her eggs. I was under the impression that hens like to lay their eggs early in the morning in a nice dark place.....who knows how long the eggs were strewn everywhere......that cannot be good for people to eat those eggs.....I definitely wouldn't eat them. I also left without any hens. I wouldn't buy hens from her or any other of the animals either. I would be afraid they weren't healthy...especially under those conditions. Now the dilemma....should I report her or just act as I never was there.......please give me some advice on this one. I'm an animal lover and my first instinct is to rescue all the animals, but then I'm thinking where they would go and what would happen to them. I'm heartsick over this. So, I've contacted another chicken seller and I'm going to go over and look at her chickens tomorrow. Hopefully they keep their chickens in better conditions.

2. dandan111

dandan111 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2013
    I was lucky to find a nice local farm that has well taken care of stock. I'm limited on breed but couldn't ask for better chickens. (Haven't bought them yet)
    About reporting. Do what feels right but remember not everyone has the same mindset. I hope this next seller is better for you.

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Maybe you should mention it to her about how she keeps her animals first. Do it nicely, so not to infuriate her. Take it from there. If she is a jerk about it, like she couldn't care less, then maybe having her reported isn't such a bad idea.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Classic animal hoarder description. I'll bet you if you asked her she's "rescued" most of those animals and won't get rid of many of them. Honestly, I'm surprised she was selling any, from what you're saying. I'd say a call to animal control is in order.

5. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I would say an anonymous call couldn't hurt. Maybe wait a week or two and then call so that she can't connect the call with your visit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by