UNBELIEVABLE!****UPDATE****FOUND

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by klf73, Jul 18, 2008.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I live on a lake, today someone got lost in the lake. Jumped off a boat and never came up, alcohol likely involved. Dh is a dive master and trained rescue diver, also in the Natnl' Guard (not diver position). Everyone is standing around and dh offers to help, they said no, they are waiting for the warden. He called our town police, asked officers on scene, and called the warden service. He offered to sign a waiver for liability issues. The only thing that was said to him is he can be arrested for "interfering". I hope nothing ever happens to anyone in my family [​IMG]
    Krista

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  2. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    Government Regulations! Getting scarier and scarier.

3. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    warden? was it an inmate that feel off a boat? and what was an inmate doing on a boat?

I dont get it?[​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I think she means Game Warden. And I believe the Good Samaritan law covers anyone who tries to help.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  5. bmarshgu

bmarshgu Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2008
    Quote:It most certainly does! I just had to do some research on it for as a grant writer trying to acquire AED's for my company. You can find it anywhere online. It is sad that they have to come up with a law to protect those that try and save lives.

6. bmarshgu

Jun 7, 2008
    PS Your husband sounds like a great guy!

7. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I don't know if the Good Samaritan law would apply in this situation. If the person didn't come up, it's not a rescue but a recovery. I would think by the time the news reached the shore(assuming that's where you DH was) several minutes would have passed at least. It sounds like the person didn't even struggle, so I imagine a drowning is almost inevitable, unless someone would have jumped off the boat almost immediately.

I think it is really stupid that they wouldn't let him help. That's ridiculous. They may just be "playing it safe" and making sure they aren't dealing with "tampering with a crime scene". I know they say he "fell off the boat" but for legal issues I think he wanted to wait for the police to show up.

Not agreeing with them, just trying to understand their point of view.

I think it was wonderful of your husband to offer to help.

-Kim

8. bmarshgu

Jun 7, 2008
    A good point Wolf-kim, but I do not think that they would have declared it a recovery mission that early on. A number of things could have happened to him that wouldn't kill him immediately. Especially if the game warden hadn't even arrived yet.

9. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Someone finally called him from the state police. They put him on a list to take a class next time to prove his skills. He also told him that if he got there before anyone else they probably would have let him help, but told him he is not to get in the water now. He didn't even know there was a problem, my mother didn't tell us [​IMG] (she lives 3 houses down and they launched from her house). People are finally starting to show, another boat, more divers. Now it's a recovery instead of rescue.
    Krista
    now I have to get by all the news trucks :|

10. bmarshgu

Jun 7, 2008
    My 8th grade teacher went fishing by himself and didn't come home that night. They later found his empty boat floating on the lake. I choose to believe he just left and started a new life.
    *Edited to say that they never found his body.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by