Unboxing & Review on our backyard chickens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KronicWayz, Dec 12, 2012.

1. KronicWayz

KronicWayz New Egg

Dec 12, 2012
    Hi everyone,
    I'm new to the forum and owning chickens but I felt I'd share my experience.
    Here is a video I did on my Buff Orpington chicks.

2. sparrker

sparrker Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    Baldwinsville, NY
    You really need a bigger tote. And to dip their beeks

3. swirler

swirler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    Agree, that plastic rubbish bin might be alright for a day, but it isn't a suitable brooder to raise the chicks in. You need the largest crate you can find, or to make a good-sized brooder from wood etc. They need room to stretch their legs, get out from each other's way, and get away from the heat lamp.

4. gardendufus

gardendufus Chillin' With My Peeps

If Malabar Feeds had anything to do with the container you are keeping your chicks in, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. That container is not sufficient for even one chick.

As stated before, that container is not nearly large enough. While chicks need to be able to get under a heat lamp or some other heat source, they also need to be able to get away from the heat. They need room to run around and peck and scratch.

Spend some time in the forum and see what other people are doing and recommending. Many people use totes, but much larger ones. I have seen them made from curtain rods with chicken wire zip tied to them. It doesn't have to be elaborate, just larger.

Aside from that, good luck, hope you have great enjoyment from your birds.

5. gardendufus

gardendufus Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by