uncertain about muscovy eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by barbjess, Feb 23, 2014.

1. barbjess

barbjess Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2013
    I have 4 female Muscovy ducks that are 7 months old and one male also 7 months. Because it has been so dreadfully cold I was not expecting egg laying although the male has been pestering the females for a month at least. The ducks are housed in an unheated metal shed and for extra insulation I packed in a lot of leaves around a large wood box that is filled with straw and pine chips for them. I also have other leaves that I have in the big leaf bags that you get at the big box stores like Menards. I saw an egg in the loose leaves the other day and went to look. There were at least four others in the same area. I went back later and the eggs had been covered up. Later I found an egg in with the leaves in the big leaf bag. None of the ducks seem to be actively sitting on any eggs although they tend to stay near the egg area. Do I just leave them alone and hope for the best? I don't know how they would be able to find the egg in the leaf bag. If they are not sitting on the eggs as the temperature drops down to single digits, is it possible for the eggs to still be viable? If I touch the eggs, like to count them or see if there are additional ones, does that bother the females?

2. charlindabob

charlindabob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2009
    central Florida
    At this point in time, I would leave the eggs to Mother Nature, but you should be able to uncover the eggs enough to count them and see if any appear to be going bad. Unlike you, my temperatures are in the high 70's, low 80's and I worry about too much heat. Any small eggs I would remove though. Ducks, like other birds do not actively sit on eggs until they have a clutch or as many as Mother Nature tells them they should have. Once she starts sitting, she is now incubating and you can start counting your days until hatch time. If the eggs freeze, I wouldn't expect them to be viable.

Or, you can mark the eggs with a pencil and then check everyday for "new" eggs and bring them inside for your incubator (once you have a clutch to hatch that aren't too much over 10-14 days old).

3. barbjess

barbjess Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2013
    Thank you for your advice. I have spent a lot of time learning about chickens this past year and am feeling good with their care but my duck care skills need to be improved.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by