Uncertain Incubation??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PoloChris, Mar 10, 2015.

1. PoloChris

PoloChris New Egg

Mar 6, 2015
    i set my incubator up 3 weeks ago, after the first week I bought an additional thermometer that read humidity. After placing the new one it I discovered the temp had been running at 89 deg. Well I'm at day 18, I've already discarded 2 eggs that obviously were not fertile. 3 more are questionable. I've never done this before and my eggs have light brown shells and it's hard for me tell what stage of development that have been in. I was wondering if I've ruined the batch or could I simply be a week behind bc of the low temp for the first week? Trying to remain optimistic. Any thoughts?

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Let me share my experience. My first hatch I relied on one thermometer (bought brand new) and at lockdown I thought they looked behind, but was hoping it was inexperience, after all they were all moving and vigorous. Day 24 I had one hatch and day 25 I had one hatch, but it died in the night. So I ended up with one lone chick. Before my second hatch I bought 3 new thermometers and checked tham all and found out the thermometer that I used for the first hatch was SIX degrees off for the ENTIRE hatch. So when I though it was 99 it was actually like 93. I'm assuming that you were able to correct the temp so you were low for the first week, and have since been on temp. Chances are that you will definitely see a delay in the hatch, but all hope is not lost. There is always the possibility that a couple are thriving and will hatch.
    [​IMG]

3. PoloChris

PoloChris New Egg

Mar 6, 2015
    Yes the temp has been steady and was verified with a 3rd thermometer. I lost my remaining flock to a predator the week I placed my eggs in the incubator. I had bought the incubator thinking I would have time to experiment before actually trying but after the incident I felt rushed to try and hatch the 5 eggs I collected. I am re doing my run now to predator proof it and was hoping to have at least one offspring for sentiment sake. I just got into chickens last April it's been a learing experience to say the least. I'll hold tight on these and see what happens.

4. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    I would check your new thermometer against a digital baby thermometer. Those are most accurate because there are human lives at stake if they are too far off. I keep 2 around and use them occasionally to make sure the other ones are accurate.

5. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Awe, sorry to hear that. [​IMG]

6. KelseyBoxer

KelseyBoxer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2014
    South Jersey
    I just went through a very similar hatch. I was lucky I caught the temp problem at 4 days. I was able to hatch 6 out of 10 eggs that went to lockdown. They took 3 days to hatch, (2) on day 21, (2) on day 22, and (2) on day 23. Don't give up hope. You may still end up with some chicks. Good luck.

7. PoloChris

PoloChris New Egg

Mar 6, 2015
    Giving the fact I'm probably off on my time anyone have suggestions on when I should take them off the turner and lock down the incubator? Thursday was supposed to be hatch day.

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I would still go into lock down on day 18. How ever, if you candle the eggs and see that the air cells are smaller than the target size for day 18, or if you see that the chicklets aren't taking up as much "real estate" in the eggs as they should be at day 18, you can hold off on boosting the humidity until you see or hear signs of pipping internally or externally. (at least that's what I'd do)

9. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    x2 [​IMG]

10. PoloChris

PoloChris New Egg

Mar 6, 2015
    I placed my eggs on lockdown this morning, at this point I'm doubtful anything is going to hatch. For anyone who buys a little giant brand incubator, I would suggest discarding the thermometer along with the packing material and spend a few extra $$ on a trustworthy thermometer and save yourself some of the trouble I have experienced.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by