1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Unclaimed money you may be owed

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by AussieSharon, Jan 23, 2008.

1. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Some time back I saw a show on tv ( not infomertial ) about unclaimed money and the huge amounts held in State Treasuries never to be collected because people didn't know it was there. So long story short, I checked the website www.missingmoney.com to find my hubby and I were owed money in Kentucky. I filled out the form, sent it to the Ky Treasury Dept who contacted me back saying it was for the sale of our previous home.

Can you believe our previous mortgage company for our home in KY who is the SAME company we are using on our current home has owed us almost $250 for nearly 7 years and we had no idea!! Anyway it was a nice little surprise to get it back and you guessed it, it's going towards a new coop.

2. hsm5grls

hsm5grls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    I just checked and it says that the state owes us money on a property we owned 10 yrs. ago.

3. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I checked it out and I am owed money, too! It is from property I used to own in Kentucky. It said I am owed more than a hundred dollars. How cool is that! Thanks, Aussie Sharon. I would have never known.

4. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Very cool, thanks for the link. WE're only owed $15 but that's something!! By the way I called my State's Unclaimed Money office to make sure the site was legit before typing in all that ID info like SS number, birthdate, etc.... they said it was legit and safe, but she just processed my claim right over the phone anyway so I didn't have to put all that info out into cyberspace.

Stacey

5. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Thank you, the state of NC owes me more than 100.00. I don't know actually how much but any money is ok by me.

6. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Yeah I am SO happy to hear you guys found money you are owed!

I know I was shocked when we found out our mortgage company owed us almost $250. We send them a check every month and they never once contacted us to say THEY owed us! Now if I was a day late on a mortgage payment you can bet I'd have heard from them. LOL

7. Rocket Raley

Rocket Raley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2007

Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  8. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    Says I am owed money but says non-disclosed on who and amount.

I think its a trap.

9. hsm5grls

hsm5grls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    I called the Arizona department of revenue office and they said it was legitimate

10. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:Don't be so sure - were your parents ever involved in a custody dispute over you, or do you have a large extended family where you may not have been told about long-lost-second-cousin-twice-removed Joe Schmo?

Sadly, no one owes ME any money. I guess the biggest cash surprise I'm getting this year is that hay bale bonanza I found on Sunday! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by