1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Uncle Jimmy's hanging horse treats/horse bordom......

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by 2468Chickensrgr8, Nov 13, 2008.

1. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    We bought our two horses a hanging Uncle Jimmy horse treat ball..(Which is a compacted horse feed ball with molassess almost like a suet ball for birds)..to help with bordom in the stall/mud paddock area....It's been swinging there for about two weeks....and they didnt even look at it....today I was making up some warm toasty oatmeal for my chickens ......and I had some extra....about a cup full and I decided to feed the horses a little and then I went out to the stall and rubbed some on the ball and they stood there watching me breathing all over my hands ...wondering what the heck are you doin' !! and they finally caught on ....well I hope so....because when I mucked out their stalls/mud paddock area they were enjoying licking the ball ...walking away and coming back to it...
    Do you think it was okay to do this to get them interested....It has been a real rainy cold November day today....and they have been standing in the shelter looking out all day.....They have been on pasture now for half days...the little bit we have left...the part we have saved just for this month...hahaha!!!!
    Does anyone else have any ideas to help with bordom ....
    Edit to clarify what a hanging Uncle Jimmy ball is...

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] Oh I know what the REAL name is.... made me giggle.

I have a jolly ball and an apple to put treats in and hang - never much interest really.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  3. 2468Chickensrgr8

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    HEE HEEE HEEE!!! I really dont know what your talkin' about...

4. Appytaz

Appytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Central Florida
    I made some hangers out of milk jugs and hay strings :). I used a dremel to drill holes randomly around the bottom 1/3 of the jugs. Then poured some feed into it. They have to really knock it around to get the feed to come out. My gelding, who rarely plays with things, stayed after it for over 45 mins. the first day. The next night I went out and hung them from random tree branches and the boys were running from one to the next looking for another one. All you have to do is take a funnel and a scoop of feed and walk around and refill them. The milk jugs worked best for me. The handle is great for hanging and they are a sturdier material. I first tried with water bottles and they just smashed and destroyed them. It is very funny to watch them trying to bite the milk jugs.

5. 2468Chickensrgr8

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    hay ! thats a cool idea...!

6. Samarai Jenn

Samarai Jenn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    my horses love them!

7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    What a fun idea!

I did put hay up in the tree's a few months ago - just for fun.

8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    My observation is that commercial horse toys are totally uninteresting to about 85% of horses. And the 15% to whom they are at least mildly interesting are usually sufficiently busy and mouthy horses that they're *still* going to do whatever obnoxious things you gave them the toy to distract them from (chewing wood, pawing, eating bark off trees, the paint off your tractor, the cow's tail hair, whatever)

If you do want to try a horse toy, frankly I would steer clear of anything sugary and wholly edible like the one you're talking about... horses do not need to be eating that stuff, particularly if you get a greedy one that really gnaws at it. It won't kill 'em but it's not particularly good for them either. You'd be better off with some sort of hay feeder that they can only pull tiny wisps out of at a time, like hay put in two haynets (that is, doubled) and secured in a hayrack. (Normally I am not a fan of haynets or hayracks but this arrangement doesnt produce much dust or risk and they'll stand there for a long time winkling out wisps of hay... unless you have a clever horse who figures out how to empty it real fast)

I don't see anything whatsoever wrong with smearing oatmeal on a toy in hopes they may become interested, but I would also not hold my breath [​IMG]

JMHO,

Pat

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:Good idea! That would keep them grazing for a while to pick up every little piece of treat!

10. 2468Chickensrgr8

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    The hay nets are a great idea also...

i just went and checked the ball and it hasnt been touched...so far they havn't picked up any bad habits...but luckily I am home so I can split up their hay 4 times a day.....to keep them busy....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by