Uncle Mike's Banana Nut Bread

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by bigmike&nan, Sep 23, 2010.

1. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Time to roll out some baked goods for the weekend. When I was in chef school I lived near a great Asian produce market - they always had lots of overripe mangos real cheap (like 5 for a dollar). I would take this recipe, add a cup of whole wheat flour, a cup of oats, a half cup of wheat germ and 3 or 4 peeled and chopped mangos and make mini muffins. You couldn't eat just 4 or 5 of these things... Enjoy
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mis en place

1/2 c. sugar
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    1/2 c. butter
    2-3 eggs
    1/2 cup sour cream or plain yoghurt
    1 c. mashed bananas (2 lg. bananas)

2 c. flour
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. soda
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1 c. chopped walnuts

Preparation:

Place sugars and butter in mixer with paddle attachment. Mix on low speed about 1 minute, add an egg and mix on medium until sugars and butter are now creamed and homogenous. Add additional eggs one at a time. Now add sour cream and mix about 30 seconds, now add bananas and mix until homogenous. Stop mixer - add all dry ingredients and put mixer back on medium for about 1 minute. Grease and then line a 9x5x3 bread pan with parchment paper and pour batter into that. Bake at 350 degrees about 45-55 minutes until a sharp knife or toothpick comes out dry. Because of the dark brown sugar the bread will be a dark and crusty caramel color. Remove pan and let cool about 15 minutes. Then lift out the loaf using the excess parchment paper. Let stand on a wire rack about 1/2 hour until it's cooled nicely - peel away parchment paper and transfer loaf to a serving plate.

Love it. Serve with butter or cream cheese to spread on.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  2. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Great recipe! Gotta try it.

You know, I lived in Jackson NJ for a few months years ago, in an RV park there. Small world.

3. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Thanks for posting the recipe. I have been looking for a good Banana Nut Bread recipe.

Will give it a try!

4. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    So....was just thinking....have you ever made Honey Bun Cake?

My grandgirls LOVE it.

Really moist and tasty.

5. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    [​IMG]
    Hoping the roadside fruitstand near me has the usual overripe bananas & mangos tomorrow!

6. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Ive got nanners sittin on the counter just getting ready for me to bake a loaf this weekend. num num num......

7. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Sounds delish!!! [​IMG] Thanks for sharing. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by