Uncommon Breeds?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CityChicker, Apr 6, 2009.

1. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Hey Everyone!

I am just curious if you could add any new breed (Duck that is) to your flock, what would it be? I am going to add some new stock this year and am a little undecided as to what.

I like so many breeds it is hard to pick. I also worry about being able to sell the ducklings/eggs. I had a Dutch Hookbill that Holderread's gave us with our order a couple years ago and she was *so* sweet. It seems like the Hookbills have just never caught on though, so I worry about not being able to sell them. I would love some Saxonys too, but they may be a little too big since I have limited space. What about Welsh Harlequins? Anconas (had them before too)?

Anyway, I would love to hear your thoughts and breeds that people are really interested in and would be marketable once they reproduce. I already have most of the bantam breeds, so I am more interested in full size ducks.

TIA!

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Welsh Harlequins.. [​IMG]

3. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Well I personally LOVE muscovies!!! They are just so sweet and they are like little puppy dogs wagging their tales! And plus, they have A LOT of babies at one time so you could sell them to responsible buyers. And they are also more tame than mallard derived ducks.

4. duck boy

duck boy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2009
    i love the magpies

5. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:I would love some good stock Australian Spotted ducks. But they are bantams. The "word" on the Dutch Hookbill is that they are a little bit difficult to reproduce in numbers. I have had both but the cutest duckling around has to the Ancona, I could sell them as fast as I could produce them.

6. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I love my Scovies and Cayuga. I want some Madarain and Wood. I also want some Calls besides the common Mallard or solid white colors that are everywhere.

7. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Do you know the colors/varieties of Calla you like? I am a member of the NCBA (National Call Breeders of America) they have 20 varieties so there are lots to choose from. Their website is www.callducks.org

8. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    Quote:Do you know the colors/varieties of Calla you like? I am a member of the NCBA (National Call Breeders of America) they have 20 varieties so there are lots to choose from. Their website is www.callducks.org

The Snowy and Butterscotch are my faves but whenever they have them at auction they are way out of my price range at $60 a bird on average! I can't afford that at this time. But someday I will get them.

9. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    I like calls, silver appleyards, or the welsh!

10. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Thank you everyone for the great responses!

I am leaning towards adding Welsh Harlequins since I have never had them before and I have heard such great things about them. I may go ahead and do a small number of Anconas and Hookbills again as well. I have had both before, but sold them when I moved and hadn't worked with them long at all prior (the move was kind of unplanned).

I have not really considered Calls much because of the noise level. We live in a semi-rural subdivision. Some of our neighbors have horses and other animals, but we are the only ones with birds so I don't want to have anyone freak out about the noise. I have considered scovies too, but I don't know a lot about them. My family never would let me have them growing up so I never really considered them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by