Unconscious Rooster?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kayleecg17, Jun 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. kayleecg17

kayleecg17 Hatching

Jun 23, 2017
    Hi, all. I specifically joined just now in the hope to find answers about my rooster's recent dilemma. About an hour ago my younger sister had gone out side to make sure all the chickens were out in the coop. All were roosting except our rooster. When she realized our rooster was missing, she panicked and ended up finding him by the barn (what it seemed like) dead. She told me he had tried standing up but was not able to and he cannot hold up his neck at all. Since then, she has brought him inside to me, I currently have him in a box and been giving him droplets of water through a syringe. I'm afraid he has consumed something poisonous but it could be dehydration- i would just very much like some input or tips on how to handle this situation considering this is my first flock of chickens I've raised. He's a few months old, and they all appear healthy, including the rooster up until now. I live in Florida and it's extremely dry and since it's summer now;considering where I live, I'm hoping those factors will help diagnose what is wrong with him. Thank you!

2. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Offering his water, electrolytes would be better than plain water, is the best thing to do right now.
    He may have gotten dehydrated today?
    How does his weight feel..has he been eating good?

3. kayleecg17

kayleecg17 Hatching

Jun 23, 2017
    He's been eating great and drinking great all day as he normally does. But thank you very much for your tip!

4. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Oh I must have missed read...have you checked him over real good for injuries?

5. kayleecg17

kayleecg17 Hatching

Jun 23, 2017
    Yes, I examined him as soon as my sister brought him to me. He's been trying to stand up every now and then really wobbly but he still cannot pick up his head and keeps his eyes shut

6. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Is he drinking now?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: