Unconventional canners? We need a list of times and produce sucessful

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by dipence71, Jul 27, 2010.

1. dipence71

dipence71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Murrayville, IL
    I want the scoop on how all you unconventional canners water bath veggies meats ect.

We need a list of items ad times you have used successfully

We KNOW this is not UDSA recommended and take our chances with no one to blame

I do my corn for 90 minutes water bath. I hate the pressure canner because it turns brown and bust jars ggrrrrr....

2. Just a question, but at what pressure are you doing your corn in the pressure canner? I do mine every year and it turns out lovely. I cold pack the corn, fill with boiling water and pressure can pints at 10 lbs. of pressure for 55 minutes. Really haven't had an issue with jars breaking.

But actually, I am interested in some of the none "FDA" things that people do cause I know some things work just fine. Will be watching and learning!!

3. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    Interested in hearing from others, too. I've just done the normal things -- tomatoes, salsa, jams, etc. I froze corn and beans.

4. dipence71

Apr 13, 2009
    Murrayville, IL
    My biggest issue is time and expense, I cannot afford 2 pressure canners and while it is cooling down I loose precious time getting stuff done. then it takes 4ever to heat it back up to the right temp, blah blah. had i pressure canned yesterday I would not have gotten 1/2 of my stuff done. as is I did 13 quarts corn and 6 qt carrots and lost 3 jars. so really would gave been 22qt but would have taken 2 days pressure canning it. and i get up today and no power so i would have lost all my hard work prepping.
    last yr I froze 6 10lb+ bags of corn because it would have taken forever pressure canning and I ended up loosing it all due to power outages. so this yr decided to take my chances with waterbath and if i loose a few jars still comes out ahead of last yr.

5. Quote:It does take a while to heat up and cool down! Glad the water bath is working for you, I will probably be trying some things in the future also. I totally understand the "losing everything in the freezer" thing...I have lost about 40 quart bags of corn a couple years ago during an outage and thats when I went back to canning all the corn!!! [​IMG] This will be a great thread to learn on...thanks for starting it!

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Rather than worry about the time involved I'd worry about your family getting botulism from low acid vegetables canned using the water bath method. They're starting to even recommend pressure canning for salsa and tomatoes since so many of the newer varieties of tomatoes are lower in acid.

7. dipence71

Apr 13, 2009
    Murrayville, IL
    My biggest issue is time and expense, I cannot afford 2 pressure canners and while it is cooling down I loose precious time getting stuff done. then it takes 4ever to heat it back up to the right temp, blah blah. had i pressure canned yesterday I would not have gotten 1/2 of my stuff done. as is I did 13 quarts corn and 6 qt carrots and lost 3 jars. so really would have been 22qt but would have taken 2 days pressure canning it. and i get up today and no power so i would have lost all my hard work prepping. [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] Last yr I froze 6- 10lb+ bags of corn because it would have taken forever pressure canning and I ended up loosing it all (yes 60+lbs) [​IMG] [​IMG] due to power outages. so this yr decided to take my chances with waterbath and if i loose a few jars, I still comes out ahead of last yr.

[​IMG] I don't want to start a debate on how it should be done according to USDA, just wanted other unconventional's to share their experiences.

[​IMG] I know the pressure canning method and have all the times pounds ect ect. But just wondering about those other methods out there.

[​IMG] just like wearing or not wearing a helmet on a motorcycle, unless it is the law in your state, then it is a CHOICE.

[​IMG] [​IMG] I appreciate all the "warning" on it being dangerous but I already know that it is somewhat risky. Just like driving a car, motorcycle, ect, you have to decide what is an acceptable risk for you. You cannot no matter how much you try you cannot MAKE another person do things your way so no need to argue about it.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  8. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Ohio
    I pulled out the old man.This is the canning book from back when dirt was made.
    The chart in it is as posted .This is for water bath times for each.

Vetables pint and quart glass jars

asparagus,beans (string),Lima Beans .........3 hours
    Beets,cauliflower,carrots ..........2 hours
    corn,greens,spinach ..........3 hours
    okra,parsnips ...........2 hours
    pumpkin,peas,squash,sweet potatoes ...........3 hours
    vegtable combos ...........3 hours

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Yikes! Doesn't look like a time saver to me! I just wouldn't want to take the risk with my family's health to save some time....yes, it your choice on how you do it, but botulism can be present and the product look and smell perfectly fine. You have the choice on what you eat....do your kids?

10. CedarRidgeChicks

CedarRidgeChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Adair Co.Ky
    I agree with Katy..doesn't seem to be a time saver.

btw..I found my second pressure canner at an auction for $20..someone posted on another thread recently about finding one at the Thrift store..I know this doesn't answer your question..sorry..[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by