Unconventional watering system for my flock

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by charlindabob, Aug 4, 2013.

1. charlindabob

charlindabob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2009
    central Florida
    Throwing this thought out here for some comments... I have been thinking of a commode (toilet) for watering my ducks, chickens & turkeys. I thought I might bury it down a bit to make the height within reason and hook up a drain to it that drains outside the coop. I am so tired of changing the water bowls once or twice a day and thought when the water gets dirty all I have to do is flush the toilet, maybe use a bowl brush once in awhile. Water level should be deep enough for the ducks to submerge their head and grown chickens and turkeys should be able to use it without a problem. Any thoughts, ideas or does anybody else use a toilet for fowl (pun intended) drinking water?

2. Angelicisi

Angelicisi Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2013
    Baton Rouge area
    My Coop
    That's actually a really great idea! I don't do it, But if you DO please take pics along the way and show us! Lol I have a few spare, clean comodes just collecting dust in the shed lol couldn't toss them cuz they were an ugly style too much of a waste...this is a good way to use it!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  3. Diggidy

Diggidy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2013
    What would you do with the tank? I would think they would stand on it and get poop all over and in it.

4. tcmstalcup

tcmstalcup Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Texas
    I can't wait to hear how this works for you. It sounds like such and awesome and creative idea. I love the concept.

5. charlindabob

charlindabob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2009
    central Florida
    Good question.....if I placed it against the coop wall I could use a small (maybe 16"x20") piece of plywood to make a lean-to shed (shelf at an angle) just barely above the tank. That way nothing could perch on it. Of course some might perch on the rim of the toilet (where a seat would have been) and poop in the water, but I don't think it would be a major problem...........just flush.

Now if I could teach the birds to flush...............................

6. Diggidy

Diggidy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2013
    Sounds like a lotof work but I am curious to see pics and hear how it turns out. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by