Uncoordinated (Lame?) chicken - Mareks? Vitamin deficiency? Malnutrition? Please advise!

ShiverFarms

In the Brooder
May 12, 2022
Good afternoon, BYC.

I come to you in hopes I can get to the bottom of what is wrong with my ~20 week old Lavender Orpington hen. She's the lowest of the pecking order and is prone to being bullied/picked on. Since isolating her (24 hours now) she has seemed to improve - she ran around in the sunshine and seemed much stronger/more coordinated this afternoon when I let her on the grass while I changed her bedding.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Lavender Orpington - approximately 20 weeks old. Unsure of her weight - she rarely lets me hold her. She seems thinner than the others in the flock.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Uncoordinated/Lameness is the first sign she exhibited. I thought at first she had injured herself. She would remain in a "nesting" position and when she finally would decide to move she was off balance and she would pitch forward or to the side. Recently she has begun to open her beak as if she is gasping. She also makes a honking/sneezing sound.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
We are going on day four.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No! All other birds are happy, healthy and acting normal.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
None spotted upon examination.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Unknown - I would say disease or vitamin deficiency except the other 9 birds in the flock are not exhibiting any of the symptoms. She is the lowest on the pecking order and is often picked on.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Nutrena layer feed offered in the run. Clean water available. Unsure of how much she was getting while in the run. Since isolating her she has had access to a dish of water with electrolytes and I made her a scrambled egg - she did eat that.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Poop seems fine!

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Observed without interference on Days 1-2. On Day 3 noticed she was being picked on. Relocated her to a crate in the house. Quiet/Dark/TLC. Offered Rooster Booster Poultry Booster mixed with her scrambled egg today.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Treatment at home - we do not have a nearby vet that works on chickens. I want to ensure she's comfortable and recovers if able!

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
NA

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Tractor Supply Company brand shaved pine - regular sized not fine. Coop is perhaps on the smaller side of average? I'll have to measure. The flock all seems to have enough room since nesting is external from the coop. Currently isolated in a pet carrier with the same pine shaving bedding.

Do you have any picture of her or a short video? Those have to be uploaded to a site such as YouTube or Vimeo with a link posted here to see. I would start some human vitamin B complex 1/2 tablet daily crushed into food, a spoonful of water or given orally, in case of a riboflavin deficiency. Was she vaccinated for Mareks? Do you have a rooster?

Do you have any picture of her or a short video? Those have to be uploaded to a site such as YouTube or Vimeo with a link posted here to see. I would start some human vitamin B complex 1/2 tablet daily crushed into food, a spoonful of water or given orally, in case of a riboflavin deficiency. Was she vaccinated for Mareks? Do you have a rooster?
No video but I'll take one tomorrow!

She was vaccinated at the hatchery (small, local hatchery) but I'm not sure of the effectiveness. We got her and our other lavender orpington as pullet grow outs when they were about ten weeks old. My other eight birds were hatched by me so no other new birds in the environment.

We do have a rooster.

Update:
I went to let my flock out of the coop this morning and noticed on of my barnyard mix hens now has a swollen eye.

Pictures attached. Related or do I have two different things going on with the girls?
20220910_073456.jpg

We ended up having to cull the lavender orpington. I'm on alert watching the rest of the flock for anything that might come up.

Good afternoon, BYC.

I come to you in hopes I can get to the bottom of what is wrong with my ~20 week old Lavender Orpington hen. She's the lowest of the pecking order and is prone to being bullied/picked on. Since isolating her (24 hours now) she has seemed to improve - she ran around in the sunshine and seemed much stronger/more coordinated this afternoon when I let her on the grass while I changed her bedding.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Lavender Orpington - approximately 20 weeks old. Unsure of her weight - she rarely lets me hold her. She seems thinner than the others in the flock.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Uncoordinated/Lameness is the first sign she exhibited. I thought at first she had injured herself. She would remain in a "nesting" position and when she finally would decide to move she was off balance and she would pitch forward or to the side. Recently she has begun to open her beak as if she is gasping. She also makes a honking/sneezing sound.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
We are going on day four.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No! All other birds are happy, healthy and acting normal.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
None spotted upon examination.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Unknown - I would say disease or vitamin deficiency except the other 9 birds in the flock are not exhibiting any of the symptoms. She is the lowest on the pecking order and is often picked on.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Nutrena layer feed offered in the run. Clean water available. Unsure of how much she was getting while in the run. Since isolating her she has had access to a dish of water with electrolytes and I made her a scrambled egg - she did eat that.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Poop seems fine!

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Observed without interference on Days 1-2. On Day 3 noticed she was being picked on. Relocated her to a crate in the house. Quiet/Dark/TLC. Offered Rooster Booster Poultry Booster mixed with her scrambled egg today.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Treatment at home - we do not have a nearby vet that works on chickens. I want to ensure she's comfortable and recovers if able!

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
NA

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Tractor Supply Company brand shaved pine - regular sized not fine. Coop is perhaps on the smaller side of average? I'll have to measure. The flock all seems to have enough room since nesting is external from the coop. Currently isolated in a pet carrier with the same pine shaving bedding.
Hi..have 2 birds that I bought as chicks from Green fire farms ...at about 4 mos old both developed profound spastic type of paralysis. Did not have other Mareks symptoms. Vet said Marek's or vit.B /E deficiency. He was supportive of supplementing their food with high doses of N and E vitamins. Long story short they are now up and about walking, jumping etc. after pumping their food chock full of liquid vit E and "poultry cell" and brewers yeast. To get them eating initially I added a couple of live meal worms ( made a warm mash from chick crumbles, brewers yeast, and poultry cell and poultry booster...they did not want to eat..?depressed? Now they chow down on that mash!! .I have nothing but high praise for those two products and would not recommend any other. Do not use nutridrench as it does not have B vitamins.
Your chicken is 20 weeks old. Why would this happen? What I read in several of the research articles is that if their mother was vitamin deficient in B or E that this will manifest in the chick or pullet/cockerel. Your chicken is same age as mine were. BTW they will have dark poop when getting these vitamins...so do not freak out. There is also a you tube video that helped me to pursue this as it took so long ....
Now 2.5 months later...recovered and both up on their legs ....one is running and jumping.

We ended up having to cull the lavender orpington. I'm on alert watching the rest of the flock for anything that might come up.
expand...
Hi..have 2 birds that I bought as chicks from Green fire farms ...at about 4 mos old both developed profound spastic type of paralysis. Did not have other Mareks symptoms. Vet said Marek's or vit.B /E deficiency. He was supportive of supplementing their food with high doses of N and E vitamins. Long story short they are now up and about walking, jumping etc. after pumping their food chock full of liquid vit E and "poultry cell" and brewers yeast. To get them eating initially I added a couple of live meal worms ( made a warm mash from chick crumbles, brewers yeast, and poultry cell and poultry booster...they did not want to eat..?depressed? Now they chow down on that mash!! .I have nothing but high praise for those two products and would not recommend any other. Do not use nutridrench as it does not have B vitamins.
Your chicken is 20 weeks old. Why would this happen? What I read in several of the research articles is that if their mother was vitamin deficient in B or E that this will manifest in the chick or pullet/cockerel. Your chicken is same age as mine were. BTW they will have dark poop when getting these vitamins...so do not freak out. There is also a you tube video that helped me to pursue this as it took so long ....
Now 2.5 months later...recovered and both up on their legs ....one is running and jumping.

So sorry!! Just read you had to put her down.😭

I’ve been battling vitamin b2 (riboflavin) deficiency but with the respiratory symptoms have you considered mycoplasma? It can present with lameness/paralysis. Vitamin deficiency would be unlikely to cause respiratory issues.

Hi, I know your post is from last year however I wanted to ask you what breed these 2 Greenfire chicks are ? Thanks in advance !

Hi, I know your post is from last year however I wanted to ask you what breed these 2 Greenfire chicks are ? Thanks in advance !
Unfortunately, the person you're asking this question to hasn't been on the forum since April. They likely won't respond. Just a heads up. :)

Back
Top Bottom