Uncracked corn, is it safe to feed?

Bellasmom

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
I have several ears of homegrown corn that dried on the cob. I've been feeding it a little bit at a time to the girls. Dh wondered if it was good for them since most references are to cracked corn.

They don't seem to be having a problem with it but I don't want to continue if there could be! I can always give it to the squirrels this winter.

Thanks!

idunno.gif
I've been doing the same thing...if my dogs don't get to it first. The girls will follow the dogs around when they're chewing on one to collect the kernals that fall off
tongue.png
I've seen no ill effects (in either...lol).

i bought about a thousand lbs of whole corn at the local elevator last fall and used it for a supplement all winter. as long as they have plenty of cruched rock [ grit ] they will be fine

This is what I know about cows - you can feed them uncracked corn - but it's a waste because they just "pass it through" and don't get the nutrition from it. If it's cracked, they digest it and get the benefit of the corn. I would assume it's the same for chickens.

My rooster will ONLY eat corn, whole corn. He just refuses to eat the laying feed in the coop with the girls. So, basically, he lives off whole corn. Of course, he gets a WHOLE LOTTA treats too!!!!!

My DH bought a huge load of corn also. Got a great deal, and thought he could use it for the chickens and the deer. We simply throw some in the coop every few days to ensure our rooster has some on hand.

As far as going through the body and not digesting - I don't think that rings true for chickens. I am OCD about cleaning my coops, and I have NEVER seen a poo with whole corn in it. That is why they eat the grit, to help with the breakdown of the corn. They still get the nutrients and such from whole corn.

I say, continue on!!!! It's never hurt our chickens - of course, I wouldn't give it to young chickens....

I throw a corn on the cob in the run once in awhile and they go at it like starving pirhana's!

They seem to love it and has not impacted anything as far as I know but I am new to this...Any issue with what I am doing from you smarter more experienced chicken people???

Quote:
I've been giving my chickens some corn ever since I have had chickens, over 40 years now. Never had a problem. The chickens digestive system is very efficient. Like the OP wrote as long as they have ample grit.
I am sure the knowledgeable nutritionists on here have a breakdown of the pros and cons, nutritionally speaking.

Mine love fresh corn on the cob.

Quote:
I've been giving my chickens some corn ever since I have had chickens, over 40 years now. Never had a problem. The chickens digestive system is very efficient. Like the OP wrote as long as they have ample grit.
I am sure the knowledgeable nutritionists on here have a breakdown of the pros and cons, nutritionally speaking.

Mine love fresh corn on the cob.

Thank you!
smile.png

Nutritionally speaking corn isn't so great. It's just a cheap energy source. A little will do no harm and chickens can digest it in probably any form if provided with grit but letting chickens eat corn over other things is like letting a kid eat desert instead of dinner. It would most likely shorten their lifespan and if layers were eating too much corn probably impact the number and quality of the eggs. Of course with a rooster egg laying is not a concern and most don't care if their chickens actually live the 8 or so years they could. Especially since hens don't lay well and roosters don't mate well in about half that time. Usually after farmers harvest corn in nearby fields we clean up what got knocked down in the fields and feed it as treats to the animals. Otherwise I prefer to avoid corn except for feeding myself sweet corn. My own diet can't really get any worse anyway.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom