under $120 coop possible?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by questions543, Apr 4, 2012.

1. questions543

questions543 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Is it possible to build a chicken coopnthat will comfrtably fit 5 chickens for under $120? If not what do you think would be the minimum cost? (this is also including a run) they will also be free ranged in the summer.
    THANKS!

2. Wolftalk

Wolftalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    The Coop :)
    This coop I built and it cost me almost $200 exacally. Its the perfect size plus I addad a run. Let me know if you want more info on it :)

[​IMG]

3. Jaxon4141

Jaxon4141 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2012
    Nebraska
    For the cost of a 5' 2"x4" 50' of galv. weld wire fencing, a cheap tarp, and some pvc you could build a coop and run like the one pictured below and have about 75 sq. feet of usable footage. The fencing would run around $85.00. The other stuff would put you about where you would like to be money wise.
    [​IMG]
    The one picture here is 175 sq. ft. It's easy to move and my chicken stay in it year round. I use them in my garden. This is my current crew.
    [​IMG]

4. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    I just spend $250 on a 8x8 coop for 10 bantams. Mine don't need a run, I already have a 10x10 dog kennel, and they free range, but yes, it is possible, especially if you search around for free or cheap wood. Both Lowe's and Home Depot have clearance sections, and I also asked a man who was remodeling an apartment building, he gave me enough tin roofing material for my entire coop for free!! It can be done, your best bet is to make a plan, then figure the price of the materials, and add 20% just in case. Good luck!!!

5. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    This is a very nice setup!!!!!

6. questions543

Mar 21, 2012
    yea that would be great! thanks alot guys for the quik replies :)

7. questions543

Mar 21, 2012
    yes please :)

8. questions543

Mar 21, 2012
    oh sorry for two replies,.. my laptops being stupid :p

9. SouthernAlberta

SouthernAlberta Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    Canada - Garden Zone 3
    My budget is teeny, also, and I'm taking that as a challenge. If I am patient -- NOT a virtue of mine -- I can source free or cheap items on Freecycle.org, Kijiji, Craigs List, etc. Just today I found an ad for free wood; someone dismantled a deck and I'm tempted to go see what they have. I've promised myself I will not acquire birds until I have a good place for them to live.

10. lokua

lokua Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    Cheap or free wood is generally easy to find. Just plan on investing quite a bit of time finding long enough pieces to be useful and pulling out lots of rusty nails. A dismantled deck is just about a best case scenario, lots of long boards. The part that gets expensive is the wire fencing. You need a lot for the run and you generally have to buy it new. Find a good deal on that and the rest is easy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by