Under- and then overheating - day 16

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sumi, Sep 21, 2011.

1. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Our power got turned off this morning, so they could replace a fallen pole, I ran next door to the neighbors, who still had power, with the incubator! Luckily it didn't get to cold in there, about 93. Then this afternoon we checked and the temp went up to 105, we turned it down, let some heat out,etc, a few minutes later it went up to 109, but the eggs felt o.k., I caught it early and opened the door so the heat could cool down a bit, then it went to 105 again a bit later!
    Useless thermostat!
    I hope the heat didn't harm the little ones![​IMG]
    I can't wait 'till Monday. My stress levels can't handle this anymore.

2. 1maria100

1maria100 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Washington
    My first time incubating the temp went up to 110 the first night, and none of mine developed after that:( But since you caught it quick it might be okay. Just keep watching the temp, there is still a chance!

And good luck on your hatch!

3. Bowen Mt Chicken

Bowen Mt Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2011
    Bowen Mountain, NSW
    Well our lot had the same sort of issues, the incubator was unplugged twice, the 3 year old turned the thermostat up while I was at work, it was awful, I thought they were all going to die, but a day late, yesterday 6 hatched from 8, then this morning the other 2 were there, 8 from 8, all now under mumma hens, so don't loose hope, they may still be fine, goodluck, hope it all works out. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  4. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Thanks, I need some luck! I felt the eggs and they didn't feel very warm, so hopefully. Luckily my DH and I have been checking the temperature frequently, so it wasn't too hot for very long.
    We'll see on Monday. I'll post an update.

5. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Quote:Thank you. That is good to hear. I'm still very new to this and I'm so scared I'm going to mess up!
    Glad your chicks were o.k.[​IMG]

6. CakePrincess21

CakePrincess21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2011
    mine are on lockdown should come this weekend! [​IMG] can't wait Im worried they might hit each other should i put a towel underneath?

7. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Update:
    It's day 20, 3 chicks hatched O.K. and I can hear another one cheeping in the egg. So they are O.K. so far! Hope the rest of th e eggs hatch out O.K.
    Thanks for the good vibes.[​IMG]

8. Bowen Mt Chicken

Bowen Mt Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2011
    Bowen Mountain, NSW
    Congratulations on your chicks, good luck with the rest, hope it all goes well.

9. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Thank you, 10 hatched out o.k. though we had to help 6 of them and I've got one weak chick in ICU who had problems hatching. Had her sitting in half her shell all night, but she seems to be o.k. So 11 in total. Out of 56 eggs.
    Quite a few eggs dried out (incubator problem). Not a well made incubator, we figured out it's got hot spots and cool spots and only half the box maintained the right temperature, but the owner's going to build another one. This one is a disaster! I finally got my own one to use, so hopefully from now on incubating and hatching eggs will be a stress free, enjoyable experience for me!
    I'm going to wait 'till this evening and pull the plug, but I doubt we'll get more chicks.
    Thank you for the good wishes. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by