1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Under Deck Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tkc, Dec 13, 2010.

1. tkc

tkc Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2010
    Oakland, CA
    I'm pretty new here, but the advice in advice given in some of the posts has really helped me with my first mini flock. I got three chicks back in July, and started building a coop and run for them that same weekend. Because my neighbors' houses are all very close to my backyard fence, the only place for my coop is under my 2nd floor deck. I couldn't find anything on the board similar to what I was planning, so I winged it, borrowing concepts from other designs. Two weeks later, I had a semi-stealthy under deck chicken coop.

Here are a couple pictures of the construction progress to give an idea of the layout.

Frame assembly under the deck.
    [​IMG]

Frame assembly under the deck with coop floor joists installed.
    [​IMG]

Roof assembly in the garage.
    [​IMG]

Enclosed coop. Full width doors on the coop above and a chicken escape hatch below.
    [​IMG]

Fully assembled coop and run under the deck.
    [​IMG]

Head clearance under my deck is just short of 6 feet. Inside the run, clearance is probably less than 5'-6".

One of my chicks, Alfred, started laying last week, before I was ready, so I bolted on an exterior nest box this afternoon. I can post some updated photos if anyone is interested.

So there it is. My first coop for my mini Oakland flock. I hope that my design might inspire someone as the wealth of information here has inspired me.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  2. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Great job! Very pretty yet stealthy at the same time. We LOVE photos here on BYC, so post away [​IMG]

3. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    You did a fantastic job. I bet the girls are very happy in there. More pictures are always welcome.

4. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    looks good!! any pictures of the occupants?

5. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    Oh, this is nice! You've got me thinking.

6. tkc

tkc Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2010
    Oakland, CA
    Thanks for the positive feedback. If I make it home before it gets dark some time this week, I'll try to get some updated pics.

Here are the tenants, Batman, Robin, and Alfred, just moved in at 2 weeks old.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Feed and water hanging under the coop.
    [​IMG]

About 3 weeks old.
    [​IMG]

Almost 2 months old.
    [​IMG]

About 3 months old.
    [​IMG]

4 month old chickens and my brother.
    [​IMG]

The chicks are 6 months old this week. Alfred has layed 3 eggs so far, and I'm expecting Batman and Robin to start paying their rent any day now.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Beautiful setup and beautiful birds. I've seen at least one other under-deck coop on here, a while back. Great idea for those who need to do it that way!

8. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Great use of space and well done! [​IMG] I also like how you attached the hardware cloth with screws. Congratulations. Your birds are cute too.

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] Well done! I must say though, I like the pics of the gang more than the pics of the coop...lol. And their names are hilarious. Your one must be really odd colored, because in one shot (on DB's shoulder), she looks like a light sussex or something. In the butt shot, I would have guessed a GLW or something. And on the chair, she looks like maybe an EE... [​IMG]

10. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    Wow. I'm really impressed with your ingenuity. That looks wonderful, and your girls are lovely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by