Under ground fencing

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by a(TM)?HoneyBeea(TM)?, Aug 15, 2011.

1. a(TM)?HoneyBeea(TM)?

a(TM)?HoneyBeea(TM)? Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    I'm really thinking about an underground fence for our 3 dogs, two of

which just love to roam the neighborhood, which I'm honastly not to happy about. :) My

border collie is the only one who I can say stays in the yard in most situations. Do any of

you have an underground fence? A question I can't seem to find an answer on is, WHAT IF

the dog crosses the boundry line but keeps going, despite the shock? We've all had a pretty

tough year with money and all, and I'd rather not spend $300, PLUS the time it takes to install

the fence, and it not keep my dogs in the yard. Anybody who has the 'invisible fence', please

tell me how good it works. I have one small dog (beagle) and two medium sized dogs.

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    We use an invisible fence but our situation is a little different than most. We use ours in our backyard which already has a physical fence around it. We have it back there to keep the dogs out of planter boxes and off a wood pile where they found they were able to climb up and over into the neighbor's yard while chasing cats. We did have it across half of the yard at one point while we were working on landscaping and didn't want them messing with newly planted grass. It works extremely well. Our dogs won't even think of going somewhere they know is off-limits unless they aren't wearing their collars and we are actively encouraging them to go across (even with encouragement sometimes they don't want to go). They definitely know what the training flags mean. I do mushing with my dogs and one time, we were in a race one day and part of the trail was marked with little orange flags. One of my dogs jumped over the other to get away from the flags (he is definitely the more skittish dog though, the other dog skirted them with only a sideways glace). Another time we were cutting through a wooded area and came into a clearing that had flags marking the area for some reason. The same dog stopped dead and I ended up having to take him by the collar and lead him through. He wanted nothing to do with those flags!

I know that they say some dogs will keep running even through the shock if there is something they are really after, but mine haven't shown the least bit of interest in running through even when there was a cat on the other side (cats are their nemesis!). If they do run through the shock, once they get past a certain point, the shock will stop and nothing else will happen. I think there would have to be an awful lot of motivation to keep going through it though. One time I was holding one of their collars in my hand while I was walking through the backyard. I got a little too close to the line and it started beeping. Both my dogs backed up even though neither of them were actually wearing the collar.

In case it matters, my dogs are both mutts. One is a beagle/german shepherd/some other stuff and is around 65lbs. The other is just a brown mutt who is around 75lbs. Both are young energetic dogs who love to chase small animals.

3. a(TM)?HoneyBeea(TM)?

Jul 27, 2011
    Thankyou so much for your reply. It does make me feel a bit better about buying it!

How long did it take you to install yours?

4. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    ♥HoneyBee♥ :

Thankyou so much for your reply. It does make me feel a bit better about buying it!

How long did it take you to install yours?

They are fairly fast to hook up.
    The longest part is igging the treanch. I would be carefull about using it for a Beagle though..​

5. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Because ours doesn't have to cover open ground, we don't have it buried. The wire just runs along our existing fence. It shouldn't be too difficult to put in, however.

6. a(TM)?HoneyBeea(TM)?

Jul 27, 2011
    Quote:They are fairly fast to hook up.
    The longest part is igging the treanch. I would be carefull about using it for a Beagle though..

Thanks to both of you.

What's wrong with using it for a beagle?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by