Under her beak is always wet and has odor

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gardengirl 2011, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Gardengirl 2011

Gardengirl 2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Central Florida
    [​IMG] Ok, so this may be a goofy question, but here goes anyhow. One of my hens under her beak is wet. I thought a few days ago she was just a sloppy drinker (I know a few of those [​IMG] ). Anyhow I checked her again and there's a slight odor under her beak. So....ok, I picked up another hen to do the sniff test at her beak area and she doesn't have it. (how many of you human parents out there have done the sniff test to check your baby's diaper? [​IMG] ) Anyhow, could there be an issue here? There's no punctures in her skin, but I also don't know if she should have more feathers under there. She LOOKS normal to me.

Hopefully this can be something you can all have a good laugh at at my expense and that'll be ok. [​IMG]

2. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    I'm in Central Florida also and have a pullet with the same thing. i haven't yet figured out why she is wet under her beak....I know that she like to play in the water, on these hot days I put a tray of water in the pen and she stays in it most of the day. however, I haven't done that lately and she is wet under the beak??? If you figure it out let me know. I'll do the same.

3. Gardengirl 2011

Mar 3, 2011
    Central Florida
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Ok, I'm such a dork! I just went to check the water and refill and got the same nasty stink as my hen had. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] The lady at the feed store told me to put the DE in their water. I use an automatic dog waterer. She said not to empty and clean the "bowl" of it out, just add more water to the jug. THAT'S what stunk!!

So I dumped it. It smelled like old stagnant swamp water! [​IMG]

So............................this leads to yet another queston. Can I just sprinkle it into their feeder instead?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  4. CatDaddyAlbert

CatDaddyAlbert NoFeathersRuffled

Apr 22, 2011
    Gumboro, Delaware
    Yes, it works much better in the feed. You will get a thousand different opinions but the usual ration in the feed is 2% by weight.

Good luck.

5. Gardengirl 2011

Mar 3, 2011
    Central Florida
    Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

6. Apple cider vinegar for the water.... we're using one tbl per gallon. Helps with all kinds of things, including keeping the slime down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by