1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Under the house

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chookiesrule, Oct 12, 2013.

1. chookiesrule

chookiesrule New Egg

Oct 12, 2013
    My big white chook has been brooding for approx a week now right under the house at the back. I have crawled under twice now dragging her out and tried all the techniques. Dunked her in cold water but I think she liked that because it was a hot day. I have locked her up only for her to fret too much. Then one day she came out on her own and I thought I had sealed up all the entrances only to find she had torn down a sealed wire, very determined. I bought 3 chickens at $15 each (one died, how rude!!) but I couldn't get her to nest again.

I have given up but apparently when she does leave the nest one of the dogs will steal an egg for a snack. Talk about a circus. I now have 2 extra babies who hate me and a chicken who shares under the house with the dogs!!!

I am too tall,fat and old (60) to crawl under the house again so if she ever comes out I shall keep you informed or if she dies she will be a snack for the dogs!!!

2. LBejaran

LBejaran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    Deep South Texas
    While it may not seem like such a nice thing to do, I'd recommend capturing her next time she comes out from beneath the house. Once you get her, I'd place her in a wire cage with wire flooring, not a solid floor. Have it suspended somewhere where there is plenty of air circulating. She will be unable to brood properly if she is getting a draft from all sides. She'll squawk and screech at first and she'll try to continue her broodiness, but eventually, she'll realize that she can't do it and will stop. It could take only a couple days or it could take a couple weeks. Just make sure she has plenty of food and water in the cage and she'll be fine.

Honestly, I really hate to break broodies. It makes me sad to see them in the cage, but sometimes, you've got to do it. I'm guessing you don't have a rooster, so it's best to break her of it before she dies on top of those eggs. Some hens are so relentless, they'd rather die on top of those eggs than give up. I'd take the extra effort to rescue her from herself before sacrificing her to the dogs.

3. AlphaRoo45

AlphaRoo45 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2013
    The Thumb in Michigan
    Great advice there, it does seem mean but has to be done or this will continue to be a problem.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I agree. can you put rocks or bricks where she gets under the house. She couldn't push those around.

5. chookiesrule

chookiesrule New Egg

Oct 12, 2013
    Thanks for the advice, I crawled under the house as she hadn't come out for a couple of days and I was worried. I set up a separate coup for her - it is not the greatest but it kept her secure for a couple of days. I did include her mirror which has helped her settle so she doesn't feel alone. This was something she did when I put a mirror outside until I could decide what to do with it - she literally adopted it as she did have a sister but it died and she would stand next to this mirror and talk to it.

I did get her some others for company and that seems to work but she still likes her mirror though. Unfortunately, tomorrow we are expecting 35 degrees heat with 100 klm winds so I will have to let her out so she can find safety and coolness under the house. If the veteran olympics ever run a "under-the-house-crawling" for 60 and over I'm in!!! I am getting good at it if I don't mind saying so myself so if I can go and get her if I have to again!!!

Thanks for your input but I just didn't have a cage to put her in so I will keep this until spring is over at least.

6. LBejaran

LBejaran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    Deep South Texas
    Having chicken's definitely gets you fit, especially when you're chasing them all over, haha!

I'm glad she's doing better and has a few friends. You seem to have come up with a good system for keeping her safe, so you are doing well!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by