Under the weather

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FreeBirthMama, Oct 24, 2014.

1. FreeBirthMama

FreeBirthMama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2014
    One of my hens has been sitting in the nesting box all day. She's not acting quite right. She did come out once at my urging to drink and eat a bit, but she was walking slowly. She also did a big poop when she got up, very big and watery, but no blood or mucous. When I pet her, she usually plumps herself up and spreads her wings, but today she just sits there making little clucking noises. What can I do? She's my sweetest hen, I don't want to loose her!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It almost sounds as if she is going broody.

3. FreeBirthMama

Sep 3, 2014
    I didn't even consider that. It seems a strange time of year. We've had below freezing temps for the past couple of weeks already. I thought hen's went broody in the spring? I'm new to this.....Would she be walking slowly/awkwardly if she was broody? I watched another hen try to sit in the same nesting box (its their favorite, lol). She just climbed all over Cupcake, trying to get comfy but Cupcake wouldn't budge and the other hen eventually moved to the next box. If she was broody would she be less likely to share? I've seen 2 in that box together several times.

4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I have one BO that went broody only a few weeks last fall after starting to lay. She gets broody so often, and did so several times despite weather or time of year. Your post does sound like she's broody. If they sit too long and don't eat/drink enough, they lose muscle and agility - My buff did that her first broody bout. Others will sit with her or on top of her and lay. She claims those eggs as her own. Or moves to another nest to claim those laid there.

I would make sure she is broody, approach her in the nest, pet her and if she puffs, flares…then broody.

5. FreeBirthMama

Sep 3, 2014
    When I pet her, she doesn't do anything, maybe a tiny clucking, but no poofing or protesting like she usually does. I just found an egg under her, then watched as another hen sat down on top of her and laid another one (I saw it come out her vent! First time witnessing it!). When the egg landed Cupcake tapped it gently, then sat down over it. But when I reached under her to take it, she just let me, without a sound or protest at all. Then she just stood there, kind of hunched over and closed her eyes. She's not doing normal nesting box things like pecking at the straw, or ruffling her feathers or repositioning herself. Just standing or sitting there very still. I don't think she's broody. I'm worried about her.

6. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Sounds like there is something wrong with her. Doesn't sound broody at all. You need to really examine her to see if you can find anything to give a direction in the cause. Best to move her to "sick bay", make sure she drinks, eats. and watch her close. Without something specific it is impossible to know what is going on. If you have a vet who treats chickens, call them.

7. FreeBirthMama

Sep 3, 2014
    Well, I brought her inside for the night. I set up my cat carrier with food and water and straw for her. She let me pick her up without a fight (very unusual!) and put her in the crate. She hunkered down and didn't do much. I put her in front of the heater and covered the crate with a heavy towel. A few hours later, I heard her eating. Over the next few hours she ate a few times and drank some. This morning I let her out and she is back to normal. I guess she just needed some pampering!? So relieved!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  8. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Thank goodness, hope she continues to act normal and be well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by