underdeveloped beak

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JayDe, May 8, 2010.

1. JayDe

JayDe Songster

Aug 5, 2009
    Lithia, FL
    My incubated eggs just hatched yesterday and I have one chick who hatched earlier than it should have along with the main group of hatchees. It is smaller than the others, hasn't dried out yet, and has a little reddish black chunk of umbilical (i'm guessing) under its vent. It also has a somewhat underdeveloped beak. It almost looks like something hit the beak on the top and took a chunk out. (I'll post a pic later when I get it out of the incubator, we left it in so it'd finish fluffing and another hatched so they are keeping each other company)

My question is: Is there anything that'll help the beak? Can you give new chicks polyvisol and would that help? I have one silkie that I'm treating for crook neck so I have all sorts of vitamins around.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. AccioSarah

AccioSarah Songster

Apr 21, 2010
    San Juan, Puerto Rico
    Quote:I'm new to chickens and am not in any-way an expert. But from what my understanding is is that the beak grows like a finger-nail... which lead me to believe your chicks beak will, in time, grow out.
    Although a picture would confirm that it is not something called scissor beak that is not un-commnon in chickens...
    I don't know what would help... my guess is calcium, but I would wait for someone else to reply.

Also, to help her eat in the mean time, I've heard that giving a deep dish full of feed will help chickens with poor beaks to pick up the feed.

Hope this helps! Good luck!!

3. JayDe

JayDe Songster

Aug 5, 2009
    Lithia, FL
    Thank you for your reply [​IMG] So far it seems to be eating ok..its the top of the beak close to the nostrils that looks like it's missing a small chunk. My rooster did some damage to his beak and it grew back just fine, so I guess I should have realized that. I just want to make sure if the chick needs something extra that I give it to it [​IMG] Thanks again!

4. jossanne

jossanne Songster

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    If you give it poly-vi-sol, which would probably be a good idea, make sure it doesn't have iron. Good luck, and keep us posted!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: