Underdogs and Bullies

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by neuchicontheblock, Jan 17, 2010.

1. neuchicontheblock

neuchicontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    I have a little white cross hen who is the permenent underdog in the flock. She is always pecked, cowed, and today she is dirty and has blood on her chest.

On the other side, I have another chick who is a constant bully to other chicks that just submit to it and huddle together.

What do I do about these behaviors? I have brought the little hen in to heal her up, as I have before, but I cannot have a chicken permenently in the house.

The chick is just bugging me. I don't like bullies of any kind, species or breed.

Suggestions? I am up for anything...and I mean anything.[​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I have not had the problem myself, thankfully, but I''l offer a possibility. You can try isolating the bully by herself well away from the flock for three or four days. This will take her down in the pecking order so she might not be such a bully afterwards. Some people on this forum have reported success with this but it may only be a temporary solution. If this does not work permanently, and especially if you are considering hatching your eggs since I think this could be an inherited tendency, I'd suggest you consider introducing her to the great crock pot in the sky.

3. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    I really don't know what to tell you. I like all chicken breeds, except for turkens, which I only dislike because I think they are horribly ugly. I feel they are all good for something......eggs, brooding, meat production. But my husband only wanted one breed and so we have mainly RIRs and introduced araucanas to the flock. I would say that when you introduce any new breed, you should consider compatible breeds, with what you already have. Chickens can be cruel.

4. Booswalia

Booswalia Chillin' With My Peeps

You could try one of those chicken muzzles. I can't remember what they're called but there is such a thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by