Undersized chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wxdude99, Oct 22, 2008.

1. wxdude99

wxdude99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Montgomery Area
    My chicks are three weeks old now, and have been doing fine. But one is way undersized. It's hardly grown at all since it was a day old. Does anybody know what's wrong with it? Thanks.

2. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    is it a banty chick?

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    It's it acting normally except for the growth?
    Does it have any kind of discharge from the nostrils or eyes? Any sneezing? Does it's poop look different from the others?
    If you answered no to all the above questions, the first thing I would try is taking that chick aside a few times a day and offering it an extra feeding all to itself. Sometimes the bigger bossier chicks don't give the littlest one a good chance at the feeder. I believe in always having two feeders available, so everyone gets their share.
    I have a half blind chick that lagged behind. All she needed was some extra one on one feedings to catch up.
    As hard as it is to accept, there are chicks that just weren't cut out for this world. They simply fail to thrive.

4. wxdude99

wxdude99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Montgomery Area
    It does okay. It eats and drinks plenty. It chirps all the time though. I poop is different. It's watery and stinks. It also shivers a lot. What should I do with it? Thanks.

5. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Sometimes they just fail to thrive, if she/he is eating,drinking,pooping I would just give em some extra attention (food,treats) and see what happens from there !!!

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'm sorry. I should have asked if they were eating medicated starter or non-medicated?
    If non-medicated, it could be coccidia. To treat that you would need sulmet. Do a search here on BYC for coccidia.
    Going to find you a link to different types of poo and will post it in a few:

http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=17568

There you can see pics of what's normal poo and what's not.

You might also try offering plain, non-fat yogurt.
    Good luck!!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by