1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Understanding Black/Blue/Splash

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Rusty Hills Farm, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    I know this has been discussed a zillion times before, but as a breeder of RIRs, I'm having a really tough time understanding color inheritance.

So, with black/blue/splash, I do understand that when you breed a blue rooster with black hens, you will receive 50% black chicks and 50% blue chicks.

When you breed a blue rooster with blue hens, you will receive 50% blue chicks, 25% black chicks, and 25% splash chicks.

When you breed a splash rooster with black hens, you will receive 100% blue chicks.

When you breed a splash rooster with blue hens, you will receive 50% blue chicks and 50% splash chicks.

Okay, now what happens when you breed the black rooster to blue or splash? And am I correct that black/black breedings will only produce black? What do you get from splash/splash?

And are those all the color combinations or have I missed some?

Thanks for all help! I'd never even thought about breeding for various colors before discovering this site.

[​IMG]

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Blue x Blue = 25% Black 50% Blue 25% splash

Black x Blue = 50% Black 50% Blue

Black x Splash =100% Blue

Blue x Splash = 50% Blue 50% Splash

Splash x Splash = 100% Splash

It doesn't matter which one is the roo or hen.

Blue is a dilution of the black gene.

3. Hi!
    I think you've got it all straight [​IMG]

What do you get from splash/splash?

All splashes.

what happens when you breed the black rooster to blue or splash?

As far as I know, same as the other way,
    black x blue = blues and blacks,
    black x splash = all blues.

[​IMG]
    Lisa​

4. Rusty Hills Farm

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    Blue is a dilution of the black gene.

THIS is what I didn't understand! Thank you! That clears up my confusion completely. I hadn't even seen splash until discovering this site--or if I have, I didn't know what it was. This color stuff is all fascinating. I've never bred anything but RIRs and now my buff Rocks, so this was never a factor for me. But I am fascinated by the black/blue/splash and may try a breed with these colors just so I can see them for myself.

Chickens are so much FUN!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

And you wont necessarily get those color ratios with small numbers of chicks hatched.

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
  7. Rusty Hills Farm

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    And you wont necessarily get those color ratios with small numbers of chicks hatched.

That's what makes it all so interesting! I love surprises, especially now that I understand some of the underlying genetics.

Thank you all for helping to educate me!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by