Understatement of the year award goes to..........

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bigdaddyabc, May 24, 2010.

1. bigdaddyabc

bigdaddyabc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Greer
    whoever said chickens LIKE scrambled eggs. OK. HOLY COW!! I was glad to not be light yellow and tasty, let me tell you! They LIKE greens, weeds, seeds, worms, yogurt, and pretty much anything else I have tried. They LLLOOOOVVVVVEEEEDDDDD scrambled eggs. It was a frenzy! Eggs and chickens were flying all over the place......funniest thing I have seen yet. Anyway, thanks to whoever posted that because I read it, thought hmmmmm, and tried it today for the first time. Needless to say I will be using eggs as treats when a true treat is called for from now on.

2. lceh

lceh Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Virginia
    Haven't tried it yet myself, but based on your post I may try it soon! Sounds like fun to watch.

3. phaethona

phaethona Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Missouri
    Mine go nuts [​IMG] for eggs too!

another one they absolutely freak out for is shredded mozzarella cheese, they won't let one tiny bit go to waste!

I'm the "treat lady" to them, when they see me coming outside they go like this: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Oh and of course I get laughed at by my husband when I cook eggs for them(not just leftovers, I cook for them), I tell him, "the chickens and I have a deal, I make them eggs, they make me eggs" I think he thinks I've lost my marbles, but the girls love it so I don't care [​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  4. Casey3043

Casey3043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Try giving them leftover spaghetti, cut about 4 inches long.....they go absolutely nuts. Sometimes I want to cook some just for them......

[​IMG]

5. fiberart57

fiberart57 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Colorado
    Mine are like sharks at a feeding frenzy with raisins.

Mary

6. beth59

beth59 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2009
    Pensacola, Fl
    We grow pecans and when we're outside at our sorting table, they come running because we will smash a few of them as we're sorting to give to them for treats. They seem to love any kind of nuts.

Beth

7. bigdaddyabc

bigdaddyabc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Greer
    Leftover spaghetti was a HUGE hit too, but not like the eggs (which I did make especially for them, don't tell my wife). Raisins you say???? Hmmmmmmm

8. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    You think that's fun, toss a bunch of grapes into a food processor for a few go-rounds until they are just slightly chopped up.

Put them in a brownie pan and put them down- now RUN! RUN for your life!!!

The first time you're safe, but after they know...you're a goner!

9. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Quote:[​IMG] Yup - raisins are Chicken Crack

I haven't tried pasta yet - that sounds like fun to watch [​IMG]

10. chicknerd

chicknerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    NH
    Someone else here suggested plain yogurt but to stand back. They were correct!!! They loved the plain yogurt and the entire run was a mess. It was hilarious to watch!!

deb

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by