Underweight Birds

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Leah and peeps, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Leah and peeps

Leah and peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    Hi Everyone,

I am worried about my two white chanteclers. They are pretty small, and are VERY light! My SL's are way heavier then them too. They have recently had mites/lice, so maybe that has something to do with it, but they didn't seem to have an effect on my SL's. They are over a year old. I'd say they are even less then a pound and pretty bony [​IMG] Can anyone help me figure out what wrong with them, and help them get better?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Do you have a vet that you can take a stool sample to for a worm check? It's usually very inexpensive (here, $5 US).

If you can't do the vet route, I would try a worming. I use valbazen (albendazole) which is a broad spectrum wormer intended for cattle and sheep, used "off label" for chickens. A search here on BYC will turn up other broad spectrum cattle wormers you can use, but I only have experience with the valbazen.

You give 1/2 cc., orally, undiluted for standard birds; 1/4 cc. for bantams. Easiest way I've found to administer it is to go into the coop in the morning, grab a bird, worm it and then put it outside. That way you don't have to worry about worming anyone twice. This may not be necessary if you only have a few birds and can tell them all apart. Use a needle-less syringe. If the bird won't open its beak, gently tug on the wattles; the beak will open. Administer it slowly so that the bird doesn't aspirate any of it into their lungs.

Hope this helps. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by