Underweight Pullet

EggcitedCBuzz

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 10, 2012
Hey Everyone,
I have three Pullets. One is about 21 weeks old and the other two are about 15 weeks old I think. One of my youngsters seems to be underweight (can feel her breastbone). I am supposed to start giving my older pullet lay crumble, but I am trying trying to make sure my younger one is getting the nutrition she needs. She had mites (but the other two did not) so I treated her with some medicated powder. Do any of you have any suggestions as to why she might be underweight/ how to help her to gain weight. Thanks for any help... Im still a beginner to all of this :)

The mites will pull a bird down and for young birds stunt their growth; mites/lice seemed to be real bad this year. I had them and rarely ever do, I've noticed a lot of other people have been getting them and fleas as well. Since you treated her, I'd just say make sure you are taking care of her otherwise well, protein builds muscle in which the layer feed has plenty, just make sure she's eating well and the other pullets aren't hogging any and eventually she'll probably come around. If you think they need it, worm her too.

God bless,
Daniel.

Last edited:
Thank you Daniel,

may I ask, What do you recommend for de-worming? She sounded like she may have a respiratory problem too because when she eats its sounds a little wheezy... I hope it is temporary and that she recovers

There are a lot of options, some people really like the DE. I favor Ivomec, you can even get the cattle pour-on in a off-brand usually called "Agri-mectin" for about 13 dollars at TSC at least here.. Takes care of lice and worms in one go by applying one drop per 2 pounds directly onto the skin with a ear/eye-dropper. I like Safeguard too, it is the only wormer that gets cecal worms; mix 1 part safeguard to 9 parts water and give 1 cc per large fowl 1/2 cc per small fowl orally. The mixture can be cut down too on the safeguard if you don't want to make so much, just if made stronger (like 1 part safeguard to 4 parts water) only give about half the dosage. It's hard to overdose a bird on Safeguard, so you don't have to worry too much. Even Ivomec it's hard to overdose them in the sense it'll kill them, I've just heard in very limited cases that a lot of Ivomec will effect fertility in cocks. Of all the wormers I've looked into, these two seem to be the best. Just don't eat the eggs or the bird for about 10 days after treating the birds.

On the wheezing, any other symptoms besides being underweight? Sneezing, bad smell around the mouth, diarrhea, bubbly eyes, squishy feeling crop/throat, anything?

God bless,
Daniel.

Last edited:
Yes Sneezing no bad smell... her crop just seems normal, but I don't really know what normal is... she just wheezes when i hold her or when she eats... her appetite is fine and I haven't been able to see any diarrhea, although I was not home all of yesterday. Also what do worms look like? One of my hens had a red looking string in their poo but I couldn't tell if it was just intestinal lining... I still have lots to learn

Yes Sneezing no bad smell... her crop just seems normal, but I don't really know what normal is... she just wheezes when i hold her or when she eats... her appetite is fine and I haven't been able to see any diarrhea, although I was not home all of yesterday. Also what do worms look like? One of my hens had a red looking string in their poo but I couldn't tell if it was just intestinal lining... I still have lots to learn
Eggcited, I would isolate the hen for awhile until I was sure what the problem was. The wheezing and sneezing could be something that can be fixed by giving Safeguard (i.e. caused by parasites) all the way to something like Infectious Coryza which even if treated the birds will be carriers and are best if they are just culled (IMO). Change all water sources as well so that the other birds won't catch it through water contamination. I think I may would try the Safeguard now, but watch for more symptoms. Worms are typically long and white when seen in poo, there are photos online, and you can occasionally find blood in the droppings but you can't always count that there will be worms/blood in the droppings every time they have worms. The red string was probably just intestinal lining, pretty common.

You could try picking up one of the other birds, feel the neck and crop (though note the crop will be squishy if they have drunk any water). After you pick them up, pick her up and compare. Remember though, disease can be carried on your shoes/clothes so try not to possibly infect the other birds assuming it is a infectious disease- it may not be.

God bless,
Daniel.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom