Undescended testicle in older stallion

michickenwrangler

To Finish Is To Win
11 Years
Jun 8, 2008
NE Michigan
I "inherited" a 13 yr old stallion, who up until a few days ago had not been handled EVER.

Once I was able to get a halter on him and work with him a bit, I noticed that only one testicle had descended. I called the vet about surgery. They said that it was their policy to send such a horse to MSU to have a laproscopic surgery done. Which would cost a few thousand. Or if they made an exception and did it in their own lab, it would be under full anesethia and still cost a few thousand, with a longer recovery time.

It's a pity because he's so healthy and beautiful. But I can't take a stallion, not with my mares and not with my daughters (ages 8 and 10, ok one's DBF's daughter, but still).

Thoughts, advice, alternatives?

On an older stallion, I would contact the university. Ask to talk to someone about him. Tell them your story and see if they have a low cost program. See about using him for a teaching case for a discount. Look for any horse rescues in your area and check if you geld thru them if it will save you some money.

Hope this helps,

Maye

Being a cryptorchid definitely can complicate a simple gelding surgery. Being an OLDER crypt makes it even riskier. That undescended testicle has been "cooking" up in his abdomen for a long time now, and all kinds of crazy things can happen to it. Most vets aren't going to want to handle the surgery, due to the increased risk that the horse just might not make it, and how messy and involved it can become.

You could call around and see what every vet in the area would charge.

Honestly, if it were me... There would have to be something EXTREMELY special for me to invest thousands of dollars into a 13-yr old unbroken crypt stallion. Something super-duper special. I wouldn't want to see him go to an auction house, but it wouldn't break my heart to pass him on to someone else (after thoroughly checking them out to know their intentions...). Maybe donate him to the university? Even if it means he will be a terminal surgery, at least he will die peacefully and won't be slaughtered.

When I was young, spending money on my horses and other pets had no limit. I spent $25K to save ONE horse. Now that I have kids, I have to think about them (my kids) first. How could that money impact my kids life later on? Will I be looking back in 10 years, wishing I had kept that $2K in their college savings account instead of spending it on a horse?

I would have a frank discussion with the vet saying that you fully understand the possibilities of complications and that it would be safer for all humans to have it done locally. I really would not want to go through the shenanigans of halter breaking a stud like that with kids around or even at home. Its just too much of a big risk.

Years ago when I worked at the racetrack I ended up with a ridging/ crypt-orchid. I can't remember his exact age- I think he was 7- relatively aged for a racehorse. He had an AWESOME personality. The trainer decided on the laproscopic surgery for him- I had him back in 2 days. The post-op care didn't differ much from any other gelding procedure. He hand walked a few days and then it was out to jog on the track. I did hit the incision with antibiotic ointment after hosing.
On the other hand- having also worked a TB sales prep barn and getting in untouched yearling colts to prep for sale I have a good idea of what you're facing, and I feel for you.
Like you I would not have a stallion around my child, to be honest in my middle age years you couldn't pay me to be on the other end of a lead or shank on half the nutcase animals I dealt with. It's just not worth it.
I have seen a number of geldings that still act studdish at times- will even attempt to mount a mare. I've had a number of horsemen tell me that it's due to gelding too late and just as many believe that gelding late produces the same behavioral results as gelding a yearling. I'm of a mixed opinion- I think some behaviors become habit and are not just hormonally driven.
I did read an interesting article not too long ago- apparently there is a drug that European dressage trainers will give the stallions to reduce testosterone to aid in training the very unruly. It's a behind closed doors kind of drug. I don't know if it's available here but if it is maybe it could be a temporary solution to buy some time. If I remember correctly the adverse effects were tissue swelling and possible permanent impotency.

Good luck to you!

We used to own a "proud-cut" Appaloosa gelding. But we didn't have kids at the time and he was halter-broke and rideable. He did act very studdy, mounted mares when they were in heat, but he was workable.

I've worked with stallions before (google Granted+// and Mi Fire Love+//, and no, none of those pluses or slashes can be attributed to me, but I did handle them both at home and at shows). I also used to ride this stallion's sire who died a few years back.

But yes, daughters are coming first.

So it's a 12 year old "pretty" stallion that's a cryptorchid and isn't even halter broke? I probably would not invest several $$$$ into him, but that's just me being realistic. Alternative if the Vet School doesn't want him? Euthanize him/have him euthanized. If you pass him onto someone else, he'll probably just end up someone backyard breeding stud. Cryptorchid horses are still very much fertile horses.

So it's a 12 year old "pretty" stallion that's a cryptorchid and isn't even halter broke? I probably would not invest several $$$$ into him, but that's just me being realistic. Alternative if the Vet School doesn't want him? Euthanize him/have him euthanized. If you pass him onto someone else, he'll probably just end up someone backyard breeding stud. Cryptorchid horses are still very much fertile horses.
I second this. He's lived a great 12 years, time to move on.

Long story.

The woman who was giving him to me was a 72 yr old widow with heart problems. Her husband (who died a few months ago) owned an 80 acre farm. However, the farm was in a trust and now that he's dead, she was told she had to move.

DBF told her about the "dower law" essentially a widows' protection act. His mother is in a similar cicumstance. So this woman looked into it and is now fighting to stay on the farm until she dies so she can keep the horses.

There's also an extremely foundered donkey and a lame Paint mare on the property which I also was supposed to take. Donkey would have been euthanized, mare would be given x-rays and if it was something relatively minor, treated or euthanized. I was up front with the woman on this, as it isn't fair for these animals to be limping indefinitely. She is also the type to call frequently to check on them.

I'm washing my hands of the situation at this point.

Back
Top Bottom