1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

uneaten feed may attract nocturnal omnivores to your roosting fowl

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by centrarchid, Nov 3, 2010.

1. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    About half my flock free ranges and I do have oppossum traffic. The oppossums can certainly catch and eat chickens after dark if they can find and get to them. The oppossum(s) frequenting my yard seem to be attracted to feeding stations. Anyone with free ranging birds making effort to feed stations away from coops / roosting areas?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Yes. I go one step further and make sure most or all feed is put away at night. I have some bear traffic wandering through, so I do not want to tempt them to get into my runs. Nothing can get to my birds at night, but a large animal like a bear can sure wreak some havoc on my run fences. I'd prefer not to have to fix them when it takes just an extra minute to ensure the feed is put away and not sitting out as a tempting treat for passing wildlife.

3. andythescot

andythescot Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    Central Mass
    I put my feeder in the coop every night... and then hope that nothing major comes by to get the spilled stuff.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by