1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

uneducated shoppers??

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Dixiedoodle, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Do you all get questions (about your eggs) that you THOUGHT everyone should/did know?? My husband's neice asked me last night: "why are the groc. store eggs white and your eggs are brown?"

It caught me off guard.. I told her they had brown eggs in the groc. store and she said "I have never seen any brown eggs in my groc store(a nationally known groc store)!" This woman is 50 years old!! Then I 'blew her mind' when I said "well--I just got my first aqua colored egg and I have hens that their bred is known for blue eggs" ...

I continued to try to inform her about fresh eggs vs groc store eggs. But I must have been as amazed, that she wasn't aware of the brown eggs in the groc....as she was of my aqua colored egg.. If she hasn't ever read the carton where it's says WHITE eggs or BROWN eggs --imagine her dismay, if she had ever picked up the brown egg carton by mistake!!!

So, what has been your strangest question about your chickens/eggs???

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Can you dye the green eggs for Easter?

3. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I absolutely HATE the question.... "Do you have to have a rooster to get eggs?"

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    My husband, bless his heart, suggested that I add antifreeze to our chicken's water so that it would not freeze. I swear he was not kidding, but he declares that he was.

5. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

The other thing that I absolutely cannot stand, is when you offer to cook someone FRESH eggs for breakfast and they refuse to eat them because they aren't from the store. Its not really a question, but it sends me plum over the edge.... [​IMG]

6. Bridget399

Bridget399 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    South Western PA
    I got a good one the other day, "Do those EEs only lay colored eggs around Easter time?".... The question was asked by my husband... [​IMG] I should have told him we would have to keep a calendar in the coop and circle Easter so they would know when to lay the colored eggs!

7. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

I am a school teacher and although in the city I got questions like, "How do you get eggs without a rooster?', and "Will you have chicks from the eggs?" no I don't have a rooster. "But don't all eggs have chicks in them?"

and I have two EE's laying blue and greens eggs...well these just blow everyone's minds..."Did you dye them?", "Are they green inside?", "Do they taste different from white and brown eggs?", "Can you eat the green ones?"...it is very funny how everyone are so interested and fascinated by my chickens.[​IMG][​IMG]

9. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    Quote:[​IMG]

10. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    I sold my first dozen the other day to a lady who knows chickens, I showed them to everyone in the room, about 12 of them, and told them which eggs were laid by which girl (6 different colors for 7 girls)

but.... one of the other ladies in the room who was looking at the multi colored eggs asked if the green eggs had green 'insides'. Another asked how many different colors the one who laid the green could lay and if I could have her lay all purple for a week [​IMG]
    Then someone else remarked that there was no way the eggs could have yolks or be edible since I didn't have a rooster in with them.... Someone else asked why they weren't all the same size and why the brown eggs were different shades of brown. One of them even tried to tell everyone that the green and blue eggs were cholesterol and fat free according to her doctor.

All this from country folk who keep 296'ers (I think these are the pearls from one of the hatcheries) for white eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by