Unemployment almost 10% nationally

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by RAWR, Nov 1, 2010.

1. RAWR

RAWR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    Many middle class families have been struck down by job loss here in America. Many jobs have been eliminated or outsourced. Unemployment benefits are a LIFELINE to those families struggling to keep a roof over their families heads and food on the table. If congress does not act to restore these benefits, millions of men, women and children will go homeless and hungry, during the holidays
    Please sign this NELP (national employment law project) petition to tell congress that the unemployment rate is still to high, to extend benefits! http://unemployedworkers.org/sites/unemployedworkers/index.php

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Links not working, kiddo..
    Good idea for a thread though!
    Hubby just got laid off today.. *sigh* [​IMG]

3. RAWR

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    Quote:oh no! D: [​IMG]
    my mom was laid off over a year ago and it got sent to china [​IMG]

4. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I know that what they are doing now..sending all the jobs overseas... [​IMG]

5. RAWR

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    its sickining <.>

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Sending jobs overseas, as disappointing as it is, is allowing hard hit companies to stay in business, therefore saving some jobs. If they had to close down, everyone would lose their jobs including the business owner. I wish this country could recover!

7. Q9

Q9 General Headache

Actually... If you include those who are no longer in the "labor market," unemployment goes up to somewhere around 17%. A humorous video exposes it:

This is really how the DOL works - read any article on it and you'll typically find "and if you include those who have left the market..."

Do NOT extend benefits! Every dollar that the government spends must be taken from the private sector - this DESTROYS jobs! Which would you prefer, unemployment benefits or more jobs?

8. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Heck, MI was running at 15% for a while there - I think we are still #1 in the nation? It's been bad here for YEARS.

No decision here on unemployment benefits. I've personally never used them, but DH has when the company he works for lays folks off, but that's different because they are on union hiring books, and therefore don't look for work, just wait to be called back.

I'd rather government quit spending so much, so they didn't take so darn many taxes, so companies could afford to hire more people, and folks like us who are working could have a bigger paycheck.

9. Q9

Q9 General Headache

Quote:[​IMG]

10. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:And i say extend the benefits.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by