1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    How many people on here have an unemployed person (involuntarily - as in can work, wants to work) in their household?

How long have they been out ?

Just curious how many chicken people are being hit by this mess.....

2. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    I was cut from full time 40 hours a week to part time 20 hours a week effective Nov. 1st. My husband expects to be laid off at any time.

The start-up company I work for, --- honestly, I don't think is going to make it, so I am job -hunting full time.

According to what I've gotten so far from applying for part -time unemployment benefits--I have NONE. I make two dollars over the minimum amount I'd draw, so they won't give me one extra dime. In spite of the fact I am making 50% less than what I was 3 weeks ago.

Not about the money these days--it's all about insurance. I have none where I work & have to take thyroid forever (lost my thyroid to cancer years ago) & blood pressure. Husband is on meds for familial tremors (inherited from his father) & blood pressure.

It's OK; we'll make it. the house is paid for & we have chickens--and eggs-- and a garden--so we won't starve--we just have to hang in & find steady work somewhere.

3. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    my dh, mostly since Dec08. he worked as a temp for 2 1/2 months and then they let him go from that.

4. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    That's our situation too, Terri. We had the cash to hang on for a couple of years, but we absolutely, positively had to have health insurance. I'm 54 and DH is 55, so we're entering the high-risk age group, and we still have two teens at home. We thought we could take COBRA, but the insurance company said they don't have to offer it to companies with fewer than 25 employees, so they declined. Cancer runs in my family, so I know how quickly you can be wiped out if something serious shows up.

Kathy, Bellville TX
    www.ChickenTrackin.com

5. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Quote:They can do that? Wow. I was just reading up on COBRA and the bill to help lower the cost - but it runs out end of Dec and DH isn't officially laid of until Jan 22. COBRA will be $800 a month! [​IMG]

At least I can get the kids onto CHIP, here. They were upset today because they realized that there would be no more company picnic. [​IMG] Kinda keeps things in perspective.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by