1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Uneven air cells

Discussion in 'Quail' started by tumnus, Jan 29, 2017.

1. tumnus

tumnus Just Hatched

Jan 28, 2017
    Greetings!

I'm a first timer at incubating coturnix quail. I have 8 eggs that are all definitely fertile and the babies inside of them are alive and kicking. Today is day 15. I did a final candling yesterday and noticed some inconsistencies.

First, the size of the air cell is different egg to egg, but the conditions in the incubator have obviously been the same for each of them the whole time. (40% humidity day 1-14, about 55-60% now). Are some slower to develop? Some were pretty big, what I'd expect to see on day 17 (from the diagrams I've seen. I'm no longer bothering the eggs with my prying eyes).

Also, while not the same pronounced saddle shape you sometimes see, I've noticed that some of the air cells are uneven. Instead of being circular, they'll have a sort of "bulge," though not a significant one. Is that something I need to sweat? I mean, probably nothing I can do to fix it now, but should I lower my expectations?

In either case, excited for whatever the outcome is. I feel like a kid on Christmas eve. I keep walking into the kitchen and singing a song I wrote titled "Please hatch soon my little bird fetuses." The words are pretty easy to learn:

Please hatch soon my little bird fetuses
    I want to see your peeping faces
    If you don't hatch I'm gonna be so mad
    But not at you 'cause I know it's not your fault

I hope it's helping.

2. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    I haven't take much notice of air cell size (mostly because quail eggs are hard to candle). But there must be a certain amount of variation and it may depend on where they were sitting in the incubator as to how far along they are as there always seems to be warmer/colder spots.

It is hard to wait and see what hatches. It's always so exciting to see what cute little faces pop out, and they are adorable chicks!

I'd like to know how your hatch turns out so do update.

3. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Lol!!! I love your song [​IMG]

I'm sorry I don't have input, I don't candle/float my eggs, I remove the very light weighing ones at lockdown. Not saying this is right, I just prefer to not mess with them by turning them/possibly transferring bacteria and plus, they are hard to see [​IMG] I don't want to make any wrong choices so I just throw out the light eggs (they almost feel empty compared to the heavy eggs) at lockdown. I don't think there's much risk in throwing out a viable egg then by those parameters :)

4. tumnus

tumnus Just Hatched

Jan 28, 2017
    Day 16 and no babies yet! Probably going to obsessively check and recheck all day.

5. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada

Hehehe!! The "eggcitement" - that would be a good song [​IMG]

Do you have the brooder all set up? With a red light? What are you using for bedding? Are you prepared with game bird starter that needs to be crushed by hand (seriously get a baby bullet blender, I know the name is off putting but it's an efficient blessing!!) for about two weeks - also, they will need to be taught to eat by especially drink and they are very prone to drowning so regular chick waterers won't be okay unless you put marbles in the water :)

A trick I use to get them to drink is get dry grass and sprinkle it on top of the water so it's floating. Then when the chick is around it, push your finger in the water making the floating grass bits move around - this movement should trigger most chicks to peck at the dark moving bits as if they're attracted to a bug and they will discover their water source :D

6. tumnus

tumnus Just Hatched

Jan 28, 2017
    Brooder is all set up. Red light. Light is on. Accurate temperature achieved. I know it's supposed to be 95 but directly under the lamp is a little closer to 100. I figure the birds can move away from it if it's too toasty. I have food and feeders and all the things needed. Marbles in the waterer. Rubber grippy thing on the bottom and a cloth over that for easy cleanup these first few days. Have pine shavings ready (not cedar) for when they're a little more established. I am so ready.

There's a pip in one of the eggs today but it's not in the air cell area. Really hoping that one pulls through. Am prepared to intervene but I really really really don't want to. Will definitely wait until it can't wait anymore.

7. JaeG

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    It is better for the brooder to be warmer than it should as opposed to too cold. I've had mine piling up under my lamp where the temperature was 113F! They will tell you if they need more or less heat. Be prepared to have most of your time wasted cooing over those cute little chickies! Handle them a lot in the first week. They will try and burrow upwards in your hands as this is how they cuddle under their mother's wing. It's adorable! Hopefully they won't keep you waiting too long.

Sprinkle food on the floor initially so that where ever they instinctively pick they will find food. You may have to tap on the water surface to show them where the water is too.

Have fun!

8. tumnus

tumnus Just Hatched

Jan 28, 2017
    Two external pips so far! The one that pipped in the wrong place hasn't seemed to do anything for a few hours but I'm being patient. Fingers crossed for that buddy.

9. tumnus

tumnus Just Hatched

Jan 28, 2017
    I've been singing the hatching song all day. Like 100 times today. Still no hatch. What gives? DO YOU NOT LIKE MY SONG?????

10. JaeG

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    They can take around 24 hours to go from pip to hatch. Some go faster, some go slower. They pip then absorb the last of the yolk and blood from the vessels in the shell. I know it's so hard to wait though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by