Uneven incubation

Julie dingman evans

In the Brooder
May 26, 2020
I’m letting one of my bantam Cochins snatch 13 bantam eggs for me, she’s been sitting on them for about 3 weeks and I keep waiting for them to pipp but they haven’t. When I candled them, at least 10 were fertile, but whenever I check on her and her eggs the other birds have laid eggs under her and pushed the fertile eggs out from her (there are usually 2 eggs at a time that aren’t quite covered) I’m worried that this uneven incubation is going to lead to no chicks? I have but up barriers around her best box so no other birds will interfere, but I’m still worried about her eggs not being fully covered... should I take some out? We’re supposed to be on lockdown... do I need to candle them a third time? Will they still hatch? Any advice would be welcom!

I’m letting one of my bantam Cochins snatch 13 bantam eggs for me, she’s been sitting on them for about 3 weeks and I keep waiting for them to pipp but they haven’t. When I candled them, at least 10 were fertile, but whenever I check on her and her eggs the other birds have laid eggs under her and pushed the fertile eggs out from her (there are usually 2 eggs at a time that aren’t quite covered) I’m worried that this uneven incubation is going to lead to no chicks? I have but up barriers around her best box so no other birds will interfere, but I’m still worried about her eggs not being fully covered... should I take some out? We’re supposed to be on lockdown... do I need to candle them a third time? Will they still hatch? Any advice would be welcom!
If I were, you I would candle again. If no development, I would throw them out. They may still hatch if they have enough development. If you see ones with no development, or ones that should be a lot farther along, then Throw those, out but leave the others alone just in case!

If I were, you I would candle again. If no development, I would throw them out. They may still hatch if they have enough development. If you see ones with no development, or ones that should be a lot farther along, then Throw those, out but leave the others alone just in case!
Thank you! Is it still ok to candle during lockdown though? I don’t want to disrupt the process but also don’t want any dud eggs under her

Back
Top Bottom