Uneven temps, can't lower humidity

SaltyPaws

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 6, 2013
Ok, so I set 29 eggs on the 13th into my homemade incubator with a heat wire on the bottom and a heat lamp on the top. I have both plugged into a reptile thermostat. I have two digital thermometers that are accurate placed in two different areas in there. One is directly below the heat lamp and one is out towards the side where there is much less heat. The thermostat sensor is under the hot spot.

My temps go as low as as 97.3 in the cold spot and as high as 102.3 in the hot spot. I've been moving the eggs one spot over about 5X a day to mitigate the temp differences.

Also, I am using the dry incubation method and cannot get my humidity below 45%.

Any advice?

Well, the lid is definitely not air tight so I didn't add in any more ventilation. I added more weatherstripping to the lid to make it more air tight but there is still quite a bit of airflow.

Pics?

Does sound like you need more ventilation. Maybe a vent hole or two on the bottom for cross flow. 45% humidity is not terribly high but is that with no water added at all? What are your house conditions/ where is the incubator located? Did you calibrate your hygrometer?

Trish

Pics?

Does sound like you need more ventilation. Maybe a vent hole or two on the bottom for cross flow. 45% humidity is not terribly high but is that with no water added at all? What are your house conditions/ where is the incubator located? Did you calibrate your hygrometer

It is located in the rec room in our basement where we keep our fish tanks. I used two hygrometers and they both read the same inside at 45% and outside the incubator at 65%.

I will get some pics up asap. Thank you!

This is the front, it has a double walled plexiglass window in the front

This is with the top open, you can see the computer fan and my makeshift' weather stripping . There is no latching mechanism for the lid, it just rests on top

Back
Top Bottom