Uneventful integration of baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dolivo, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Dolivo

Dolivo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2016
    So today I integrated the babies into the flock. I had originally decided to wait until they were the same size, but then I read about doing it when they were smaller so they weren't seen as much if a threat to the older hens.it made sense So I decided to try it. I opened the gate and let the 20 one year old hens in together with the 29 seven week old chicks. The result? Boring. Lol. My older hens could have cared less. They had been seeing the babies through the fence for a few weeks. They completely ignored the babies in with them. The babies kept their distance but mingled with the hens.
    The amusing thing was my sole little rooster. 7 weeks old and he's strutting through the older hens with this air of "hot ****, I got me some older women now! I'm da man!".
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    If they get along----then that is good---if not then that is bad----keep a eye on them. I have lost some over the years from one peck from a older hen to the head or a hen sling them like they were a rat. Good Luck!

3. Dolivo

Mar 9, 2016
    How do I delete a post? I wasn't done typing and I accidentally posted.

4. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Just edit it----A Mod would have to delete it. Look for a symbol in the lower left corner that looks similar to a pencil-----click then edit/finish it and re-post

1 person likes this.
  5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    See the red flag in the lower left hand corner? Click it and ask the mods to delete your thread. It will soon disappear like magic.

1 person likes this.
  6. Dolivo

Mar 9, 2016
    Ok thank you. I edited it to what I originally wanted to say!

1 person likes this.
  7. Dolivo

Mar 9, 2016

8. Dolivo

Mar 9, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by