Unexpected broodies

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ironmaiden, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Ironmaiden

Ironmaiden Chicken Maiden

Jun 14, 2010
    Kansas
    Hi folks. I have two banty hens that seem to be going broody. They don't want to get out of the nest boxes. I don't want any more banty hens, so I thought about placing other eggs underneath them. Question is, my boxes are 4 feet off the ground at least and it is very cold here. How can I get them to postpone their intentions until a later date? Also, I figure I should move them to a private area but how private do I need? I really don't have time right now to build another pen. I have 30 some odd hens and one rooster in a large barn. Any help is appreciated.

2. hannakat

hannakat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    Hi!

One of my hens went broody last weekend. Since I don't want her sitting on eggs, we took her out and stood her in the snow. She stayed there, motionless, for a little while, took a step out of the snow, pooped, and then went over to the chicken run where I had a plate of goodies. It's been 3 days now and she is still with the others so I guess it's over for the time being.

Hope this helps!
    ~^,,^~

3. Ironmaiden

Ironmaiden Chicken Maiden

Jun 14, 2010
    Kansas
    How funny! I guess I'll just keep moving them off the nests. Thanks for the reply.

4. jrsqlc

jrsqlc Obsessed with Peafowl

Dec 22, 2009
    Northwest Ohio
    i have a group of black ameraucanas that are ALWAYS broody. If one starts they all go, and they WILL NOT STOP THE CYCLE!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by