Unexpected chick colour and Annoyed wife!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Outbackchick, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Outbackchick

Outbackchick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2011
    Hello.. Over the last few days our RIR x White leghorn x have been hatching.. We have 14 so far [​IMG] and I was surprised to see we got a little black chick with all the rest being what we expected with being yellow with a hint of a light reddy brown in some spots but this one is black with white chest and tips of wings.. Was thinking this must be a throw back to the 3/4 white leghorns but thought white was the dominate gene?? This is my first hatch and new to this so is it unusual?? It looks like a little australorpe [​IMG].. Also I have a egg that when it pipped I noticed some blood on the membrane so I just left it as I knew I could still hear it in there.. I got up this morning to discover my husband had picked a fair bit of the shell away to help it ( I had told him not to do this) now it's still moving but still curled up in the membrane.. It's stilllike this a few hrs later and humidity is high enough but I can still see a fair bit of blood around it.. Let's just say I wasn't very happy with hubby [​IMG] but wanted to know if it should still be ok? I won't open the bator and I'm hoping no more hatch in there until it decides to come out as 1/3 of it is exposed.. Thankyou [​IMG]

2. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Keep the humidity up to snuff, nd if you need to soak a paper towel in warm wter and wraap the exposed chick to keep it moist....then leave it to do it's own thing;)

3. GrannysRoost

GrannysRoost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Casa Grande
    I hope it's wrapped in a paper towel with beak exposed? I had to help one a few days ago, no one else was pipping and I took the hatched out, so while I was doing that I wrapped the egg in a hot damp towel to pick enough shell so I could see it, then had to pick a bit at the membrane because it was struggling with the beak. Once the beak was exposed just enough she was poking it in and out, I wrapped in hot wet paper towel, leaving the beak part exposed to breath, and when I put back in the bator tossed in a hot, wet washcloth to up the humidity fast. The membrane around the beak hole dried over night, but the next morning she was zipping through it. If I wouldn't have picked just that little bit at the membrane, not sure it would have had made it even though it originally pipped externally in the wrong end of the egg.

4. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    I'm sure chick hatching is an exact science, but I didn't know that when I was a kid! I usually helped my chicks hatch, being an impatient 8 yr old, and nobody told me not to do it. I never killed one, either. And never had an incubator, I just stole them from under the hen when they were peeping, and opened them up. Then I put them back. They came out fine -

Your mystery chick sounds more like a barred rock. If so, that's a really good one! Nice heavy egg machines. (unless it's a roo)

5. Outbackchick

Nov 20, 2011
    Poor this is just curled up in there.. I can see it's head and it could get out if it wanted but just tucked under still.. I had another look and there is no membrane on it either and fully exposed on one side.. It's breathing and it's time for it to hatch.. I have 6 other eggs in there that have not pipped yet. Thanks for your replys [​IMG] nanalantana that's funny.. I just hope the poor little bugger will be ok.. Really a barred rock? I'll have to look that up [​IMG]

6. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    Leghorns from Hatcheries can be mixes. Some have some barring hidden in the white. I don't think the white in Leghorns is dominate... could be wrong. I know you can't use them for sexlinks.

Unless you have Barred Rocks, it is not a barred rock... Is there a spot on the head? that would indicated barring but would not change the breed to barred rock. Sorry.

That chick, might have something wrong with its legs. I had one that we hatched because it was making no progress and it could not walk. I wish I had helped sooner. It was shrink wrapped and might not have had leg problems if I had helped sooner. It did die. I have hatched several and have only lost the one from hatching problems and I just didn't help soon enough. I had read DON'T help, but I just can't sit and watch them die when I can help.

7. Outbackchick

Nov 20, 2011
    I brought my 3/4 white leghorns from a lady that breeds lots of different breeds.. I also got a rhode island red cockrel from her which is now the mothers and father of these chicks.. All the other chicks are variating shades of yellow/ white/ light reddy brown [​IMG] not white on head but has grey shades on chest with yellow bum feathers.. Also has a black beak.. Very cute [​IMG] it came from a browner colored egg that we sometimes get from our 3/4 white leghorns.. So should I go ahead and get it out or just leave it come out when ready??

8. DMRippy

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    Quote:8-12 hours is my limit. I get them out.

9. Outbackchick

Nov 20, 2011
    I just went ahead and done it and just aswell I did as it would not of been able it.. It was stuck down so tight!! Bits wrapped around holding it's head down.. It was gross but I put it on a heat pad and got to work [​IMG] I left the umbilical cord still hanging and put it straight back into the incubator.. It's laying there recovering but still breathing strong [​IMG] that was a pretty awesome experience [​IMG]

10. DMRippy

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    Quote:[​IMG] Good luck! Toothbrush to get the yucky stuff off if needed, but I find they take care of that too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by