1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Unexpected Chicken Farmer

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JanaMcG, Apr 5, 2016.

1. JanaMcG

JanaMcG New Egg

Apr 5, 2016
    Moulton, AL
    Hello! So, funny story... Saturday, my parents showed up at my youngest's bday party with my 3 son's (ages 6, 4 & 2) belated Easter presents. Three chicks! Not that big of a deal... However, we had no heads up & we are in the process of buying a house. Just a tad inconvenient... Oh, and all we were provided with was a bag of feed & the tiny cardboard box they were in. My hubby & I were in a slight state of shock, but weren't about to crush their little hearts. You know kids are great at getting instantly attached to cute little fuzzy animals.
    After a quick bit of "googling" we go spend $50 at Tractor Supply on the basics. Then, a bit more "googling" over the last 3 days has proven BYC is the place to go for answers! So, here I am. I'm all in & have tons of questions!
    [​IMG]
    Meet our birds! My oldest son named them Gold (obvious which one...), Peck (all black) & Nugget (black w/ white patch).

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC and to the world of chicken keeping/raising. Be careful these little things are very addictive.

3. NeseO

NeseO Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2014
    North California
    They could be a blessing in disguise:))) Welcome!

4. JanaMcG

JanaMcG New Egg

Apr 5, 2016
    Moulton, AL
    I told my hubby, "Well, we got them... Let's be sure they give us something in return!"

5. NeseO

NeseO Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2014
    North California
    I'm sure they will give you tons of fun memories and yummy breakfasts:)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    They are cute as a button. When they are 6-8 weeks old you can post their photos at "what breed or gender is this." Congratulations.

7. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by