unexpected chicks!

melschicks

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 9, 2011
Dennis Port, MA
Well, as of Monday, mypetchicken had notified me that half my order didn't hatch and they were going to send all of them three weeks from now. So, we packed everything away to wait for another 3 weeks. Low and behold, I got a call from the post office yesterday afternoon... I have 5 new chicks!!! (my first ever!)
Luckily, despite the lack of having the brooder warm, they seem to be doing okay! I gave them some water in the shipping box while we got the brooder set up and warmed.

How long do we leave the paper towels on top of the pine shavings? they seem to have figured out how to use the feeder pretty quickly.

Thanks!

I don't even put paper towels on top of my pine shavings and they don't seem to bug the shavings at all. Once they can find the food and water I think taking the paper towel off is fine. Congrats on your babies.

excellent!

Here's a pic... our chick TV
90968_dsc_0144.jpg

Love it! Nice view!

We don't use paper towels and shavings together. We use just paper towels the first few days and then switch to shavings. Lots of people start with just shavings and I haven't heard any problem with that. I figure I will start with shavings next time.

Quote:
Yeah, I'm worried about that.
Can they all live together once the next 4 arrive in three weeks, or will I need to keep them separate until they are all grown and merge the two adult flocks? REALLY don't have the space for two flocks! The coop isn't even ready yet!

You can keep the younger bunch in a large plastic bin (Walmart carries some large ones for under $5) with a lamp designed for reptiles until the older ones are ready to move outside and then move the younger group to the larger brooder.

You might also think about just dividing the brooder with some wire for a little while until they are closer in size and then allowing them to mix at that time. Might be easier to mix them when they are younger and still in the brooder.

Congrats on your babies! I just got mine from MPC yesterday, we might have siblings ;-). Love your brooder setup. I put mine on sand and I'm really liking it, the poo seems to dry up really quickly and it works as grit too.

Back
Top Bottom