Unexpected death cause??

crystalbanks84

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 25, 2014
we have a silver crested polish hen that was missing feathers under her wings and a little on her back. Weve rubbed our flock down with DE every so often so we thought that would take care of it. She ate, roosted and kept up with the others but today she laid down in the run and died suddenly. Any ideas what could have been wrong? No other chickens seem to have the same problem. Although our Cochin rooster has red irritated looking spots on his feet that haven't gotten much better with DE. The other 12 hens are fine. Any thoughts??
Thanks!

crystalbanks84

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 25, 2014
I would like to know how to prevent whatever killed her from spreading to the rest of the flock. That's my biggest concern.

dawg53

Humble
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Nov 27, 2008
Glen St Mary, Florida
we have a silver crested polish hen that was missing feathers under her wings and a little on her back. Weve rubbed our flock down with DE every so often so we thought that would take care of it. She ate, roosted and kept up with the others but today she laid down in the run and died suddenly. Any ideas what could have been wrong? No other chickens seem to have the same problem. Although our Cochin rooster has red irritated looking spots on his feet that haven't gotten much better with DE. The other 12 hens are fine. Any thoughts??
Thanks!

Sounds like mites. Consider closely inspecting all your birds for external parasites and it would be best to worm them as well. Springtime is worm time.

crystalbanks84

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 25, 2014
Ok thanks. I completely cleaned out the coop, sprinkled the whole thing with DE, dusted the chickens with DE and added garlic to their food and water. Hope that rids them of anything harmful. Thanks :)

dawg53

Humble
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Nov 27, 2008
Glen St Mary, Florida
Ok thanks. I completely cleaned out the coop, sprinkled the whole thing with DE, dusted the chickens with DE and added garlic to their food and water. Hope that rids them of anything harmful. Thanks
smile.png
DE wont do anything against mites. If your birds have mites, they will become anemic and die. Garlic will not treat worm infestations.
Use the BYC search box to find out what treats mites as well as worms.

Top Bottom