Unexpected Duck, new "dry" picture

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by yotetrapper, May 22, 2008.

1. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Anyone ever hear of this???

I received 42 eggs and put them all in the incubator on the same day. About a dozen ended up being infertile, leaving me 30 at day 18. Two of those never hatched, and had stopped at some point. Three others were fully formed, but did not hatch. 22 hatched.

The remaining three eggs are what are weird. You may have heard in another of my posts about some eggs that were developing way slower than the rest. After my hatch was "complete" I waited another day before opening the bator and candling the eggs. What I found, shocked me.

Three eggs were still alive and well, but appeared to be no further along than day 14, at most. That was on Monday night. Tonight, they dont appear to be much further along than day 16.

I needed my incubator, so I moved these three eggs tonight into another incubator. All three are alive and moving. I have no idea if they will hatch or not? They have now been under incubation for 24 days, and have at LEAST 3-4 days to go.

What is UP with THAT?

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  2. Broke Down Ranch

Broke Down Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    [​IMG] Crazy stuff, that. I'm curious to see what happens....

3. warcard

warcard Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    SE Indiana
    Are you sure you didn't get some guinea eggs?

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Are they chicken eggs? What size and shape are they? Other fowl take 28 days to hatch. A guinea egg is not shaped like a chicken egg but a small duck egg could easily be mistaken for a large chicken egg. Take photos of those eggs. We wanna see.

If they are chicken eggs - then the yolk is on us because I have no clue!

5. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    Ooohhhh, maybe you got some surprise ducks there! [​IMG] Now I'm interested, I want to know what happens! Don't leave us hanging, update us when you get to the bottom of the mystery! [​IMG]

6. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

Any pics through the incubator window...??

Charlie

7. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Maybe they were laid a few days after the rest?

Maybe you've got a cooler spot in your bator? Before I put a new wafer in mine, I had a SEVEN DEGREE difference from one side to the other in my LG. Now, it's perfect....

8. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Sure look like chicken eggs to me!! But they could be anything, guy I got them from has EVERYTHING, all loose. Hang on, I'll take pictures.

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  9. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Lighter in picture for size reference.

[​IMG]

10. Broke Down Ranch

Broke Down Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    Do they have kind of a waxy feel/appearance to the shell? Cause they look kinda like duck eggs - duck eggs aren't always green .... [​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by