unexpected egg find, are they edible?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by HappySlappyDuckfeet, Nov 7, 2011.

1. HappySlappyDuckfeet

HappySlappyDuckfeet Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2011
    Garden Grove
    I just found a stash of hidden eggs from my single welsh harlie, 9 total. No clue how long they've been there but they are the first eggs I've seen from her at a year old. (Our yard is not large so she can't have hidden them elsewhere, I looked) How do I know if they are okay to eat? No bad smell, no blackening but mild discoloration on the shells from dirt. They were buried in straw and dirt. I did the 'float test' and none floated. Broke open two and they were perfectly clear and normal-smelling/looking. Probably fine to turn into a quiche..? haha

2. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    If they don't float and smell ok once cracked then I'd say they are fine to eat. Break them open one at a time in a separare container just in case! [​IMG]

3. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    Washington
    Yeah, just open each one into a bowl to check it, some will be older than others. As long as it hasn't been really hot and they haven't been in mud or water, they will keep for weeks anyway. Don'tcha know that the eggs you buy in the supermarket have been stored for weeks before they end up there in the first place? I go by the look and smell of a "found" egg, but if they are dirty, the dogs get them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by