1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Unexpected Kill

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by HollyB, Feb 5, 2009.

1. HollyB

HollyB New Egg

Dec 8, 2008
    One of my hens was just killed by a hawk a couple of hours ago. I have her hanging upside down to drain the blood. It is getting close to dark - how quickly do I need to deal with the rest of the bird? Are layers good for eating? How should I proceed? How long till the blood drains? Temperature here tonight will be mid 50's - not very cold. I have never done this before and don't have the gear to boil water, etc. Plus I'm sad to lose my girl.

2. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    If you havn't processed her already I would say burry her. Rigor mortis sets in with in 20 minutes and bacteria sets in shortly after if not kept cool. I wouldn't chance it if I was you.

3. imfowl

imfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Louisiana
    Just get the guts out of her as soon as possible. After you do that, she will be good in the fridge tonight if you dont have time to pluck her. If she's only a couple hours old, she should be fine.

4. Brelansmama

Brelansmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    McMinnville, Oregon
    Am I THAT ignorant to how meat chickens work.....I hunt elk, and have taken an animal in the evening, and not come back to track/butcher it till the next morning, with no problem of spoiling. Are chickens different because of size or something?
    I am just wondering [​IMG]

5. Debi214

Debi214 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    Richmond, VA
    Holly - I would say it depends on the temp. You need to hurry if the temps are in the 50's. Like any other meat you buy you know but I would get the guts out quick they are what spoils the meat.

6. imfowl

imfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Louisiana
    Absolutely not, I duck hunt, and we dont even leave the blind until four or five hours after the first one hits the water. Two hours is very insignificant. Its just better to get the guts out as soon as possible, but it wont hurt anything.

Debi- not saying "absolutely not" to you. Telling the person above you they are not ignorant.[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  7. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    Food Service standards for Oregon: two hours above 40 degrees is bad.

BUT if you cook it above 180 degrees, you should be fine.

So long as you're not immune compromised or planning to take it to a potluck.

8. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I think it's "best case scenario." Don't forget, it's also recommended not eating eggs less than hard cooked and meat less than well done.

9. Brelansmama

Brelansmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    McMinnville, Oregon
    Gotcha, I didn't think there would be that much difference between big & small game, as long as you get the guts out asap.
    Actually, with how small a chicken is, it would cool down VERY fast, if an animal stays hot after death too long, that's when you've a spoiled animal on your hands. The last elk I butchered, we found a good 10 hours after it was shot (I bow hunt) and he was still very warm inside. Holy moly was he tasty though!! I've NEVER had tender loin that delicious before!! Must be all that Oregon green he ate![​IMG]

10. HollyB

HollyB New Egg

Dec 8, 2008
    Thanks all for the input on my dead hen. Since I didn't have time to deal with her, we buried her - but now I know better what to do!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by