Unexpected loss 1 year old Golden 300 Hybrid Duck Female

Clare_CA

Chirping
11 Years
Mar 4, 2010
Camarillo
Hi All, I got six different breeds of baby ducklings from Metzer Farms a year ago. They have a wonderful life here in Southern California with free ranging, a duck pond, corn in the morning, watermelon in the afternoon, mealworms at night along with duck food, of course. They are protected from predators in a duck run at night and have a shed to sleep in with shavings and hay. They are all doing well, but Gracie, my Golden 300 Hybrid, died in the night. I found her on her side in the coop in the morning. It was a surprise to me as she was just over a year old. Can anyone tell me what she might have died of? She had no exterior wounds on her at all. I have raised chickens before and know that they can die of anything from tumors to ovarian cancer to Egg Yolk Peritonitis, and I know ducks can get that too, but she showed no symptoms of being ill before she died. Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide. She was a very sweet duck and is missed.

Gracie.jpg

She was beautiful. Very sorry for your loss. Do you know when she laid her last egg?
Ducks are very good at hiding their sicknesses. Symptoms can be very subtle to us. Like you said many things could have been wrong and without a necropsy, you'll never know.
I lost an Indian Runner very similar. Fine running around with her flock found her dead in the coop one morning. Then I got to thinking back I remember she was by herself under the wood shed the day before she died. She could have been egg-bound that is usually what takes them. Especially if we don't notice other symptoms.

That's very sad. I can't imagine. But, without a necropsy, you might never know. Are the hybrid ducks like a hybrid chicken and bred for their egg laying abilities? If so egg bound could definitely be the issue or even heart attack as that's how chickens will go suddenly as well.
Sorry for your loss. :hugs

Thank you, KaleIAm and Miss Lydia, for your help and compassion. I am sorry that you went through something similar with your Indian Runner, Miss Lydia. I am not sure when she laid her last egg. I have six girls and usually get 3-6 eggs a day. Sometimes they find a new spot to lay in and then cover it up with hay, and I don't find the hidden ones until later. I actually found two older ones in the spot where I found her, but I'm not sure those were hers. It sounds like the egg bound issue or even heart attack could be the cause. Yes, that particular hybrid was created by Metzer Farms because of its egg laying ability. I have a Welsh Harlequin, a Black Swedish, a Blue Swedish, a Rouen, and a Jumbo Pekin. Only the Rouen has a green egg; the rest are white. They all seem to be excellent layers. Thank you again for your help.

Back
Top Bottom